Early Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
What is the earliest before expected date that you have had calves born. My heifers are suppose to start calving Jan 20. These are AI bred so I know for sure when they were bred. They are Simm/Angus AI bred to Angus.
I had one 15 days early last year. That hiefer was Simm/holstien so i thought she would be later than the rest.

Anything 2 weeks before or after the expected due date is considered normal

I had a calf come 21 days early, the cow was bred AI so I know it was early. The calf weighed 51 pounds and it was a very hot August day. Good thing I was home, got it in the barn out of the heat and the calf did fine. The next 2 years the cow calved at normal gestation length.

Tlmcr, you answered another question I had. I had wondered if early once would she always be early. I have them where I can see them so I guess I am ready.
Anyone see much difference according to breed?

Kenny

I have had them be early one time, late the next, depends on the mating and the envirnomental conditions during gestation.

I do however have one cow that has been 10-12 days late on 5 or 6 pregancies and her daughters seem to be the same way.

About two weeks is the earliest and also two weeks past the due date is the latest I have had a cow calve. From my experience, heifers are usually earlier that their due date.

Synched cows tend to be all over the place compared to natural breedings on our place. Had a group synched last year for April 21, 1st calf on April 10 last one May 1st. No bull exposure all AI. Nutural breedings were all +/- 3 days based on observed standing heats.

Bull calves will tend to have a longer gestation than heifer calves.

You bring up the point that is the reason for me asking. For years I have noted when the cow is natural bred. Almost all are within a couple days of expected day. When I started AI'ing two years ago one of the first things I noticed was my chart no longer was correct.

kenny thomas":38mb375x said:
You bring up the point that is the reason for me asking. For years I have noted when the cow is natural bred. Almost all are within a couple days of expected day. When I started AI'ing two years ago one of the first things I noticed was my chart no longer was correct.
Until about 2 years ago we did 100% AI. 95% or so of the calves were born within a day or 2 one way or the other of the expected date, many of them on the expected date.

dun":1v9a76ql said:
kenny thomas":1v9a76ql said:
Until about 2 years ago we did 100% AI. 95% or so of the calves were born within a day or 2 one way or the other of the expected date, many of them on the expected date.

Thats been my experience.
Within a week three or four days early or three days late.
I would say the number is in the high 90's

Two embro calves delivered during a 6 hour window this year? Could have just been their time?

2 weeks early is normal. My heifers that conceived AI are generally done calving by their due date. They always come early it seems. The last 2 years, they have been due Feb 1, and they will start around the 20th of Jan, and will probably be done by the 1st of Feb.

Gestation does vary by breed. For example, Braunvieh are 287 days of gestation on average, compared to the 283 average on most charts. Last year we put embryos in some braunvieh cows, charolais cows, and some were a cross of both breeds. The Charolais cows calved first, and the braunvieh cows were a few days later. All were done witihin a 7 day window.

Anyone have any new calves yet?
fiesta.gif

Update. 14 heifers due Jan 22. One born 1/10, one-1/11, one-1/12, three-1/13, none today. One pulled, easy pull, with no problems otherwise.

Latest posts