Earliest born fullterm calf

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
What is the earliest you've seen a (apparently) fullterm calf born?

I had one born 19 days before the due date, if it wasn't from a synchronised heat and AI I would have been convinced it was a case of bred by mistake on the previous heat.

Two weeks I think...though technically its not full term, but I think I know what you are getting at. :p

The "normal" is for my girls to go over.... But they have had me rechecking my calendar this year!! Have the last one not due til 7/11 but she has really been making bag, made me look at the calendar once again!

Based on the vets palpation date for when she was bred we have a heifer that was 70 days early. Just happens to coincide with the AI date

We had one born 18 days early this past spring. When we saw the cow had calved so early, we just assumed there was a dead calf out there. But we followed momma and she took us to a tiny heifer. She's grown well and is about the size of the other heifers now. She's a Midland heifer. I think every Midland calf we've had born was born earlier than we expected.

Well I am thinking today is going to be the day, her udder is huge and teats are taunt and there is tinted discharge. Checked the calendar again, she had been AI'd but didn't settle bred back with a bull and thought she stuck, came in heat (I thought, decided she must have slipped the fetus) and put her back with the bull September 28, saw her stand for him. That puts her at July 11. Maybe the September heat wasn't "real"?? I don't know but she sure is ready to pop.

CKC1586":2vl7j5xj said:
Well I am thinking today is going to be the day, her udder is huge and teats are taunt and there is tinted discharge. Checked the calendar again, she had been AI'd but didn't settle bred back with a bull and thought she stuck, came in heat (I thought, decided she must have slipped the fetus) and put her back with the bull September 28, saw her stand for him. That puts her at July 11. Maybe the September heat wasn't "real"?? I don't know but she sure is ready to pop.
Well, the date wasn't wrong.... she went into labor and had a premie heifer that was 27 days early. She didn't make it. I am bummed.

Losing one is never easy doesn't matter how long you are in the business. I lost a cow last week from a freak accident and now I have a bottle baby, luckily he is doing well.

Just came back from correcting a malpresentation in a 3 year old, first time I ever had a malpresentation in a mature cow except for tangled up twins. The calf was backwards and with crossed legs, after I corrected the presentation she pushed the calf out backwards within seconds and I had to get out of her way quickly. :lol2:

KNERSIE":1w0ipko5 said:
Losing one is never easy doesn't matter how long you are in the business. I lost a cow last week from a freak accident and now I have a bottle baby, luckily he is doing well.

Just came back from correcting a malpresentation in a 3 year old, first time I ever had a malpresentation in a mature cow except for tangled up twins. The calf was backwards and with crossed legs, after I corrected the presentation she pushed the calf out backwards within seconds and I had to get out of her way quickly. :lol2:
Glad your pair made out okay! I have to stop driving myself crazy over losing that tiny heifer, I just don't understand what happened.
I thought about trying to find her a calf to raise and decided with my luck I would probably bring in more trouble so I am letting her dry up. Big beautiful udder..... :cry2:

Latest posts