Ear

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
I understand why ear is needed in southern climates, however i can't understand why a little ear is docked in the midwest? I personally like the looks of a calf with some ear, but in my neck of the woods they get docked. I don't understand why a certain amount of ear is gonna hurt a thing even in cold climates. I am in Northern Arkansas so we get a little of all kinds of weather.

I hate the fact that what I like to raise doesn't bring the money, so I am forced to get rid of the ear. Just curious why it is such a bad thing.

Any thoughts?

for the most part its just used as an excuse for the buyer to pay less.

RazorbackRed":2bhmap4y said:
I understand why ear is needed in southern climates, however i can't understand why a little ear is docked in the midwest? I personally like the looks of a calf with some ear, but in my neck of the woods they get docked. I don't understand why a certain amount of ear is gonna hurt a thing even in cold climates. I am in Northern Arkansas so we get a little of all kinds of weather.

I hate the fact that what I like to raise doesn't bring the money, so I am forced to get rid of the ear. Just curious why it is such a bad thing.

Any thoughts?
they will get docked in some parts of the south too because they go to feed lots in the midwest with too much ear they wont convert feed to much fat during cold weather. all energy is wasted on just maintaining themselves........ staying alive

grannysoo":2hay7rm8 said:
I'm in a very southern climate and no one around here docks ears.........

Perhaps they do it different in other areas.
they do in north alabama. thats why i stated{ in some parts of the south} you get along the gulf its a different story. depends the feedlots the buyer's are sending them.

You might want to consider which direction the cattle are going when they head to the feedlot. This has a lot to do with it too.

My brangus crosses (brang-char,brang-herf, brang-ang) did well at the sale last week. I always hear how the "ear" is going to hurt and if it did they've got me fooled. I

here you are docked for shorter than normal ears. and tails.

the reason the buyers give is...if the ears froze or part of the tail froze, good chance the hoof or knees could have froze some and would cause problems with the legs later on in life, not so productive then. :shock:

Rod":3b94i94s said:
My brangus crosses (brang-char,brang-herf, brang-ang) did well at the sale last week. I always hear how the "ear" is going to hurt and if it did they've got me fooled. I

Those type calves will not see much dock as the percentage of Brahman influence is under 1/4. In our part of the world, a calf that is 1/4 Brahman or less is very desirable. Most can grow enough hair to go to the Texas - Oklahoma panhandle to be fed in the winter. They are ideal for deeing in the central plains in the summer and can produce excellent carcasses.

Latest posts