Ear Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

gwece

Reaction score
What brand of ear tags do you recommend for a cow-calf operation?

I run a small herd of angus and have been using the "large 2.25 x 3.0 inch" Duflex tags and have had fair luck with them staying in. I do have trouble being able to read the number on some cows because of ear hair.

A friend of mine recommeded the Z-Tag brand....said they stayed in pretty well. If anyone uses these I'd appreciate your comments. Also whether the one piece or two piece tags are best.

I like the looks of the "extra large" size that hang down more (like you see on the tv auction shows), but am wondering if they get ripped off more in feeders, woods, etc.

Thanks! gwece

We use the 3x4 1/2 (from bottom to top). Used Duflex for years and have lost a few. This year I got a bunch of bad buttons because we lost a bunch of them so I went to the z-flex. The z-flex are a pain in the butt to put on compared to the others as far as I'm concerned. Cows with really hairy ears will hide part or most of a tag a lot of time. Yu cna mount them further towards the end or down lower.

I've used the Z tags for several years now. Cow have yet to lose one. When I write a number on it, I always wait and let the ink dry then write over it a second time. Seems to not fade doing it that way. Don't tag the calves til they're big enough for the cow tags.

Placement makes a difference indeed as does quality. Anything can come out. Ears can tear. The brucellosis metal tags are supposed to be permanent too. They have been found in the working chutes from time to time. You get two of them and you are never going to know if you got it back in the right cow or not.

If your concerned about tags being too big Z-tag makes a LONG NECK calf size that works great. Only money I will spend on tags is Z-tags. And they stand behind their product. Like TexasBred says use a couple coats if writting on your tags. The laser marked ones seem to be holding up good. I do have trouble reading their red tags....I have used thousands of them and only lost a few compared to other styles!

Ink your # on the tag 2x then put it in the microwave for a few seconds. Let the ink dry each time.

Lost 1 onepiece Z tag so far. About 3 days after I put in. Only 10 used so far.

Cows browse the brush alot

I use the Z tags on cows and calves. I have had some loose them. They are easy to put in and the ink does stay on them good. The cows with hairy ears make it a little hard to see the tag at times.

backhoeboogie":3f505d6z said:
You get two of them and you are never going to know if you got it back in the right cow or not.

If you check your paperwork (OCV form), can't you match up brucellosis tag with cow's ID tag?

Hi Ear Tags discussion participants,

The secret to ear tag retention is application. The goal is to get the tag in the ear without tearing the ear even slightly. One wants the ear tissue around the shaft of the tag to heal quickly and tightly. Z Tags are known for retention and ease of application. They are applied a little differently than what you might be used to so take time to have a sales representative or friend that uses them show you how to load the tagger and put them in. Check out our website for more information and a free tagger with a 100 tag purchase.

Lets have some fun.
It's the holidays so how about a free product offer for the next 10 producers. Send me an email with No-Snag-Tag in the subject , mention this blog I'll send you 50 One-Piece blank Cow or Calf tags with a free marker and One-Piece Tag Applicator. Just tell me the size and color you want and your physical shipping address (no PO Boxes please). I'll ship them next week if I get all of the info. This offer will end Dec 16th 2011. I'll send you our tagging tips information card as well.

Stu Marsh
Vice President Z Tags North America
[email protected]

Dear Ear Tag Discussion participants,

Wow!
The 10 free product offers went fast!

I'm busy filling them today. Maybe we'll do this again in the near future.

Thanks for the quick response.

Stu

Z Tags Stu":214e4brw said:

The secret to ear tag retention is application. The goal is to get the tag in the ear without tearing the ear even slightly. One wants the ear tissue around the shaft of the tag to heal quickly and tightly. Z Tags are known for retention and ease of application. They are applied a little differently than what you might be used to so take time to have a sales representative or friend that uses them show you how to load the tagger and put them in. Check out our website for more information and a free tagger with a 100 tag purchase.

Lets have some fun.
It's the holidays so how about a free product offer for the next 10 producers. Send me an email with No-Snag-Tag in the subject , mention this blog I'll send you 50 One-Piece blank Cow or Calf tags with a free marker and One-Piece Tag Applicator. Just tell me the size and color you want and your physical shipping address (no PO Boxes please). I'll ship them next week if I get all of the info. This offer will end Dec 16th 2011. I'll send you our tagging tips information card as well.

Stu Marsh
[email protected]

I think this is great that we have a VP of a company that makes proucts we use checking out this forum. It tells me this is a company that wants real life feedback from everyday producers and is in touch with its customers. We need much more of that from other companies. Thank you Stu and check back often.

Good morning Stu,
The 50 free ear tags, applicator and reference card made it to Mississippi Friday.
Great Christmas present for me!!
Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas!!

OleScout

OleScout":sojb541g said:
Good morning Stu,
The 50 free ear tags, applicator and reference card made it to Mississippi Friday.

OleScout
I never got mine the 1st year so quit sending in my testimonial about Z Tags.

TexasBred":3286pdmo said:
OleScout":3286pdmo said:
Good morning Stu,

OleScout
I never got mine the 1st year so quit sending in my testimonial about Z Tags.
I didn;t get them the first time nor the second.

You guys need to keep type quicker. I got in on the last round of give aways. The one where you had to type out a story of why you liked the z tags.

Z Tags Stu":1k6nj877 said:

Lets have some fun.

Stu Marsh
[email protected]

Thank you Mr Marsh !! I received my Ztags and applicator via UPS today .I am looking forward to tagging my 2012 calves with them.

Again thanks so much and Merry Christmas ..
Hillsdown Ranch :tiphat: