ear tags

Help Support CattleToday:

m&kCattle":1mwwla78 said:
The engraved idea is kinda the reason I buy them, I realize it is just a 2 piece tag.
I guess it's the only reason to use them over the typical 2 piece tag. A good marker pen works just as well especially if you put on write the numbers once, allow them to dry and then go over them one more time. But I guess we all have our preferences for one reason or another.

brenda":bow0muw4 said:
We have the same problems, cows/calfs losing their tags, we use the Allflex. Thought about trying the Z tags, more pricey, but tired of having to replace them. We just worked a few head the other day, and already about 5 of them have lost their tags.

Brenda,

Were you applying the Z Tags to your cows or calves? If you are putting them in your cows, make sure to use a new hole. If you are applying them to a calves' ear, you'll want to make sure you are holding the animal's ear taught when applying the tag. This will keep from tearing the tissue. The fact that you lost 5 tags that quickly is a big concern for me. Please call or email me so I can get those tags replaced, as this is not normal.

Kerry
[email protected]

Kind of funny to me that we have one heifer that always loses her tag. Her sister does the same and so did their mother. I always find the tag with the end of the buton still in the tag. Seems like they have figured out way to saw the buton part off.

Z tags are the only tags we use. Did buy a female a couple years ago that had an engraved tag.

Tag Man,
If Z-Tags start to make an engravable tag I believe you will runevery other tag company out of business. If an engravable tag company starts to make a one piece tag that matches the retention rate of the Z-Tag you better get your resume fired up.

Julian":spftwzmi said:
Z tags are the only tags we use. Did buy a female a couple years ago that had an engraved tag.

Tag Man,
If Z-Tags start to make an engravable tag I believe you will runevery other tag company out of business. If an engravable tag company starts to make a one piece tag that matches the retention rate of the Z-Tag you better get your resume fired up.
Absolutely.

After retention, it seems readability is the biggest pain point producers have with ear tags. I know several producers that have switched at one time or another to Ritchey because of their engravable decoration, only to find they have compromised the tag's retention due to the hard plastic needed to make the tags engravable.

Here's a few ways to make sure your Z Tags stay legible for years to come.

If using a Z Tags Marking Pen, be sure to lay down TWO coats of ink and allow to dry before applying to the animal. Our ink is designed to work with our plastic "recipe" and soaks in quite well.
If you're writing on the tags in colder weather, try keeping the marker in your pocket to keep the ink warm.

Another option to marking your own tags is to order them pre-printed. Pre-numbered (1-200) tags are typically stocked by your local dealer, if not, they can order them for you. Pre-numbered tags are available in both laser and hot stamp.

You can also opt to have your tags custom printed in either hot stamp or laser by ordering them through your dealer. Custom decorated tags have an almost endless possibility of options. Laser decorated tags carry a lifetime warranty on them against fading - if they become unreadable, we'll replace them.

See our web site for more information about our ear tags and marking options, or call our customer service department at 800.511.4744

Nothing wrong for Tag Man doing some positive PR for his own product.
Please note that he didn't start this thread but did offer some suggestions how to get better utilization of the product he has. How many people do the same with their own herds here on this message board? Nothing wrong with that, so it should be fine for Tag Man to share the positive features of his product.

If they live through it there is probably a 50/50 chance that they rebreed. We've had a couple that have rebred and gone on to make good, productive cows with some longevity. The way I look at it is this: not necessarily her fault that she prolapsed, and now I've spent an awful lot more on her in vet bills than I ever wanted to.

Latest posts