Ear tags

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
How about a serious post on ear tags.
Anyone have an ear tag that will not come out in normal pasture conditions. Worked 70 cows and had to replace 5. Not a big expense but would love to have one that never comes out. Also one that the numbers will not fade.
Any suggestions?

I've always used Y-tex and it always seems like one in each group loses its tag. What size do you use? I've noticed that you don't lose as many large tags as you do X-large and you can see the number almost as well.

We use Alfex for the RFID. Retention very good. Last year out of 100, i think we replaced 3. Because the RFID does not have a dangle, we use cheap feed lot Z-tags. Cheapest out there for info. Retention rate is about the same. The key is to not to use the same hole if you have to replace one in an older cow.

I use Ritchey tags. Used Allflex for years. Ran into 2 completely worthless batches and the company said it was all my fault, was incompetent in properly tagging the animals and that I would have to jump through hoops to convince them otherwise. At nearly $60 worth of tags on the ground, I didn't think it was to be in my ball court any longer.

The key is the rubber (probably not rubber, but some chemical mixture that is very pliable) to plastic content. I complained to Allflex about their product quality from the 1980's compared to then (mid-90's). Apparently, I was misinformed because their product is of the 'highest quality'. Not in my tests which involved tags found in the manure piles over the years - 1980's tags, still very pliable and usable, even after 15+ years in the pile. 1990's tags would last a couple of years and then just shatter to pieces if you bent them, from out of a pile.

RR, the Allflex tags used for RFID are hit and miss. I know a lot of cases where the plastic clips in the tag have broken completely and the tag and button fall out in two complete pieces. Neighbour of mine lost two of his one week after he had tagged them that exact way. Nothing gets an RFID tag here until 2-3 days before it leaves for good. Not going to start throwing $3.50 tags I paid for into all my cattle just because someone says I should.

Allflex have the market beat on convenience. Quality is owned by Ritchey in my mind.

The Y-Tex ink in a metal tube kind of like a magic marker is the best stuff I've found. After 4 years the are still as dark and legible as the day they were put in. The stuff eats into the tag and the pigment maintanes it's color.

rockridgecattle":3fxd6hy5 said:
We use Alfex for the RFID. Retention very good. Last year out of 100, i think we replaced 3. Because the RFID does not have a dangle, we use cheap feed lot Z-tags. Cheapest out there for info. Retention rate is about the same. The key is to not to use the same hole if you have to replace one in an older cow.

How come??

Yall may have heard of these, and i know you are looking for ear tags....but they say that the tag will never come out..
VC135925l.jpg

img005.jpg

cattle.jpg

K2011":3lyjb6qi said:
Yall may have heard of these, and i know you are looking for ear tags....but they say that the tag will never come out..
VC135925l.jpg

img005.jpg

cattle.jpg

We used those type in the dairy back in the 70s but thery also had a chip in them so that the cows could be identified by a sensor so that each cows grain ration could be measured. The only thing I noticed was that we had a lot of infections. But the cows there were laying aorund in dry lots and not pasture.

We use the Ritchey engravable tags. They don't fade so you can't read the number.
We do have a cow or 2 lose their tags, but that is pretty normal when they get in some thick brush.

I was going to say that the rfid button tags are great and they will never lose them but I noticed yesterday that Lady Luck's was gone although her herd tag beside it was still in.. :?

I find with the very cold weather we get that the backs of the tags break offs and become just a little stub, does anyone else notice that as well. I wish they made rubber tags for our weather, maybe they do .

K2011":24tlzj34 said:
VC135925l.jpg

img005.jpg

cattle.jpg

Oh, those do come out. Might be ok if you in open country, but in the bush, they will rip out easily and they make a mess. About 15 years ago there was a big push on people using dewlap tags around here. Lasted a couple of years. Saw a lot of shredded dewlaps at the sales yard where they tore them out and people put another one in, and another one..etc... :cowboy:

CKC1586":2deuzft8 said:
rockridgecattle":2deuzft8 said:

How come??

I am going from memory here, but i believe it is because replacing a z tag in an existing hole is to loose and will fall out more easily. Any how if memory serves that is what the vet told us....several years ago

Brisket tags and bush do not get along in our small part of the world. There is alot of underbrush and dead fall that would just love to snag a brisket tag and do some right nasty damage

kenny thomas":gohwnzmh said:
Farmgirl10, I use the large Y-tex not the ex-large.
Are the ritchey or the Z-tags a one piece tag?

Z-tags are one piece. Ritchey are one, two or three piece, with different attachment types. I use the button type (Universal) that is similar to the male button used on allflex tags. Have used the three piece snap type but found long-term retention to be poor. Ritchey tags are very flexible, even in sub-zero temps and can always be read...that is why I use them. :cowboy:

Guy down the road has 7 pair, got tags in both ears of all 14 head. Got numbers like C-15-A and stuff like that on the tags. Wonder what is is recording? :cowboy:

I use the Z tags and have only lost 2 because I used the same hole as the Du-fus tags came out of. Then, as I'm able to read, I read the directions, and it said don't do that, so I don't do that. Hav'nt lost any since.