Ear Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
I normally use the eartags with the pre-printed numbers but want to begin using the ones where I can write on the tags to create my own numbers. I am looking for the type which holds up the best, so the numbers remain readable the longest.

Anybody have any insight as to what brand has worked best for them? Any tips to make the tags last longer?

As far as staying readable the longest, the Ritchey's are best. But they also rip out of the ear the easiest.

I use the Z tags and an Allflex marker. To get the best results use several coats of the pen, make sure you let the ink dry a good 12 hours between reapplication. I make mine up a month or so before calving so they are ready to go.

I use Y-tex tags. Previously I have used the Z-tag marker, and was very impressed with the results. 2 coats of ink and the tag immediately goes into the calf. I am using tags for the 3-4th years and I rarely have to rewrite them. I will if they are faded a bit though. This year I changed to the Y-tex marker, so we will see how they do.

This year I tried Cal-tags (http://www.caltaginc.com). They are a laminated tag, the front has the numbers cut out, while the back is a different color. I have no idea if they fall out of the cows ear in a year or so but so far I really like the looks of them. Also what is nice is, you can order just the number you need, no need to buy a bag of 25 if you only need 10.

Nowland Farms":1muxjcem said:
I normally use the eartags with the pre-printed numbers but want to begin using the ones where I can write on the tags to create my own numbers. I am looking for the type which holds up the best, so the numbers remain readable the longest.

Anybody have any insight as to what brand has worked best for them? Any tips to make the tags last longer?

Nowland, you might want to check around to see if any of your local business offer custom tags. I have no idea how widespread it is, but our local co-op will custom print All-Flex tags (different colored tags are available, along with different sizes) with whatever numbers/letters we wanted on them. Last spring they were right around 1.50/tag(if memory serves), but the printing did not fade(we had been using these tags for several years). It usually took about 24 hours to get the tags, unless they had usually high demand.

I like Z-tags, but I prefer the pre-numbered ones. The newer ones are not supposed to fade as fast.

I ordered and just got in some cal tags in.. they look really sharp and i was impressed. I will try and post a pic of them if anyone is interested.

I've been using Allflex and Ytex tags with an Allflex pen... I find you can't write on both sides :p (number on front, DOB on back) because the numbers bleed through after a few months. I can almost read the DOB on some of my calves without flipping the tag over. lol. Also found that the numbers get a tad faded on the Ytex tags after a year, Allflex are still OK. I did use two coats.

The Ytex tags I've used that are preprinted have been holding up great.

i have always used the bottle ink marker to make tags

need a steadier hand to make it good but it lasts and in legible as long as you can keep the tag in the ear.

I have used the ink on most brands of tags and find little or no difference.

tags do have to dry so it is not a mark and go deal. Have seen folks mark and imerse the tag in cool clean water to set the ink but I just premake mine and let them dry.

the custom made engravable tags sound like a pretty good deal. will have to check em out. However I will still have the marker bottle around to make replacements for the ever occuring lost tag.

pdfangus":30tyfb2s said:
i have always used the bottle ink marker to make tags

need a steadier hand to make it good but it lasts and in legible as long as you can keep the tag in the ear.

I have used the ink on most brands of tags and find little or no difference.

tags do have to dry so it is not a mark and go deal. Have seen folks mark and imerse the tag in cool clean water to set the ink but I just premake mine and let them dry.

the custom made engravable tags sound like a pretty good deal. will have to check em out. However I will still have the marker bottle around to make replacements for the ever occuring lost tag.

That is what we use as well. We have cows that have had tags marked with that stuff in their ears for more than 5 years.

I checked out the Cal tags site.
liked what i saw.
Sent them an e-mail and asked what applicator the buttons required.
I have a fearing duflex applicator and it also handles the agri tag. These are the self piercing buttons that require the blunt tip pin. but the y tex self peicing button won't work on this applicator. found that out the hard way.

They responded and said they thought my applicator would work.

If not an allflex blah blah blah.

I don't have an allflex and I get tired of buying an applicator for every tag brand. Used to be one applicator and two pins and you could use any tag.

Anyone know if my applicator will work for these tags?

Z tags with Z tag pin the best for your money that I have found give them 2 coats and in 5 min max ready to go. Plus with the Z tager you can tage and calf by your self and fight the cow off with the other hand. No botton to lose and no snaging

I bought the cal tek tags.

Liked the appearance

good visibility

my old Fearing applicator handled the buttons okay.

Only thing that remains to be seen is how well they are retained.

So Far i will buy them again next year as I gave them my start number and the number required and they shipped em to me pretty promptly.

Cheaper than the blank agri tags i had been buying and I did not have to make em.

Z tags for sure, I've tried them all. Z tags are one piece, and if you use a marker, mark it twice or three times, it holds it's mark fairly well.
Pre-printed numbers seem to be visible better, and for a longer period of time.
Hay rings will pull them out, no matter what brand.

Latest posts