Ear tags

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardnosecattleco

Reaction score
Looking to get some tags made up with the farm name and location. Am curious what everyone is using as far as brands of tags. Have always used the one piece z tags have liked them but it's all I've ever used just fishing for if something is better out there or not before I buy

I've used several different kinds. Never had any custom printed before, but I believe most of the major brands offer customization. I know Allflex, Duflex, and YTex do. If they still do it the Angus Association's website markets Duflex tags and Allflex one piece ATags They have options for customization as well.

CCK Outfitters

--
{electronic tags}
Fort Supply Technologies

Hey guys, i am new to the cow business. I have 9 total that includes a bull all around 1 yr old. Are the ear tags from our local farm store good enough or should i order some from a company like the ones listed above? Is there a difference?

Hey guys, i am new to the cow business. I have 9 total that includes a bull all around 1 yr old. Are the ear tags from our local farm store good enough or should i order some from a company like the ones listed above? Is there a difference?
They should be the same quality at your local farm store as the ones you custom order as long as you are comparing the same brand. i.e. DuFlex tags at the store and DuFlex tags on line.
The exception to that, that I know of is most stores don't carry laser printed Z tags.
You will just have to compare prices. You'll have to buy a package of 25 tags at the local store. If you go on line somewhere like The Cattle Tag Store you can order 1 tag if you choose.

I prefer A tag style one piece tags either Alflex or Z tags.
If you are new to cattle and ear tagging I would recommend this style. If you miss the tag is still usable and you get to try again. Two piece tags once put together are stuck together. You either have to cut the button or have a special took to remove the button from the tag.

They should be the same quality at your local farm store as the ones you custom order as long as you are comparing the same brand. i.e. DuFlex tags at the store and DuFlex tags on line.
The exception to that, that I know of is most stores don't carry laser printed Z tags.
You will just have to compare prices. You'll have to buy a package of 25 tags at the local store. If you go on line somewhere like The Cattle Tag Store you can order 1 tag if you choose.

I prefer A tag style one piece tags either Alflex or Z tags.
If you are new to cattle and ear tagging I would recommend this style. If you miss the tag is still usable and you get to try again. Two piece tags once put together are stuck together. You either have to cut the button or have a special took to remove the button from the tag.
Thank you!

It really doesnt matter if you get personalized tags or the prenumbered tags from the farm store. The only thing I'd suggest is to not use blank tags and a tag marker unless you plan to redo the tags each year or so. The writing tends to fade. We run a similar amount of cattle as you and personally I think it's worth it to be able to customize our tags. We have a specific way we like to number the cows and I also like to add things like their birth date and sire as well as our farm name. We've ordered from The Cattle Tag Store website several times (I'm actually expecting an order today for a few new heifers we added to the herd this year) and have always been pleased with the tags. We have cows we tagged back in 2017 and the tags are holding up well. The tags are cheap, but shipping is a little expensive, so I'd order them all in one go. In my opinion it's not that expensive and worth the small cost.