Ear Tagging

Help Support CattleToday:

You can put the fly tag in the same ear as the ID tag. Just move over and maybe down. I have also added the fly tag to the bottom of the ID tag (punch thru the tag, not the ear). Most fly tags call for one in each ear. BUT, I don't find any fly tags that work anymore. The flies in the south seem to be resistant to all the tags. Does anyone have any success with fly tags now? If so, where are you located?
We have pretty good luck with the fly tags. Some years seem better than others. We use 2 tags (1 in each year). We've been following the tag rotation as shown below and take the old tags out in November when we are working the cattle.

rotation strategy white.PNG

Many different brands - I have never used Z tags - I use Permaflex (same as Allflex). We tag newborns with full size tags - never change them out as they mature. I hand write on blank tags. Rarely have to replace because of being lost. Have never ripped an ear tagging calf or cow.
Just be careful to tag the ear in between the "ribs".
We also tag newborns with full sized tags. Using Ritchie engraveable the last several years on the heifers because I know they won't fade. Steers just get a handwritten tag using a marker.

We tag and tattoo calves within 24 hours of birth. We also fly tag in the opposite ear shortly before turning out to summer pasture and run everything through the chute when we do that. It won't harm them if you tag after a few months, it's just cartilage you are piercing and may get a little blood but nothing to worry about. We sometimes have some calves that get some irritation and maybe mild infections around ear tag piercings after they had them in awhile but they usually self heal or just squirt some iodine around the hole and they are fine.

You can put the fly tag in the same ear as the ID tag. Just move over and maybe down. I have also added the fly tag to the bottom of the ID tag (punch thru the tag, not the ear). Most fly tags call for one in each ear. BUT, I don't find any fly tags that work anymore. The flies in the south seem to be resistant to all the tags. Does anyone have any success with fly tags now? If so, where are you located?
No. Plus, they kept breaking off. Easier for me to spray them. Neighbor to the north puts them in around April, doesn't spray (doesn't even vaccinate half the time) and his cows are covered - and, of course, they end up over here.

No. Plus, they kept breaking off. Easier for me to spray them. Neighbor to the north puts them in around April, doesn't spray (doesn't even vaccinate half the time) and his cows are covered - and, of course, they end up over here.
The only fly tags that Sean to have any effect around here are the really nasty double barrel or equivalent. After the second year of getting that stuff in my eye I said no more! We use back rubbers, fly mineral, and pour on.

Latest posts