Ear tag removal

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Well a true beginners question. We got our first calf of the season yesterday late afternoon. My wife and I went out to give shots and tag her. Just as I sqeezed the ear tag gun she shook her head and I set the tag too low in her ear. I missed between the ribs. I know from experience that it will tear out sooner than later.

What is the best way to remove the tag so I can reset it?

Thanks,
Alan

There is a tag remover tool that makes it slick and easy. It's a v shaped end with cutting blades on the inside of the V and a long handle. Same place you got your tags will have it

dun

Thanks, I'll head to the feed store Monday, they are all closed her on Sundays.

Alan

Alan":36ojsj6v said:
Well a true beginners question. We got our first calf of the season yesterday late afternoon. My wife and I went out to give shots and tag her. Just as I sqeezed the ear tag gun she shook her head and I set the tag too low in her ear. I missed between the ribs. I know from experience that it will tear out sooner than later.

What is the best way to remove the tag so I can reset it?

Thanks,
Alan

Save your money Alan - a set of side cutters works fine - we use them once in a while.

Bez!

Dun's suggestion is right on. I use a razor knife to cut the back button off, but I'm used to using a razor knife from working at a plastics plant.

Please do not, however, remove it by pulling. I saw a guy at a stockyard drop off a group of calves one time, and he asked them to cut the tags off so he could re-use them. The guy working for the stockyard proceeded to yank them off by hand from above. By the time the calves went into the sale ring, half of them had bleeding ears, and everyone bidding noticed- and the price was lower because people didn't know why they were bleeding.

I've used the dykes in the past, couldn;t believe how much quicker and easier it is with a tag remover. It's cheap 3 and half bucks

dun

I remove tags with a pair of side cutters, then I put a new tag in the same hole. The keeps me from having lots of holes in the critters ears.

I believe if it was me, I'd just leave the mislocated tag insitu and put in another one.

dun":2ksph4s3 said:
I've used the dykes in the past, couldn;t believe how much quicker and easier it is with a tag remover. It's cheap 3 and half bucks

dun

I have one in the tacke box thing works as slick as a cats gut.

I use a pocket knife. Best tool a man or woman can own. Kepp it sharp and you will be suprized how much you come to really depend on it.

Scotty

Caustic Burno":lqkgdevm said:
Scotty":lqkgdevm said:
I use a pocket knife. Best tool a man or woman can own. Kepp it sharp and you will be suprized how much you come to really depend on it.

Scotty

Sowbelly

HE HE HE. ;-)

Scotty

I wouldn't recommend the pocketknife, I've fillet'd the old thumb quite a few times this way. Or maybe I'm just a klutz?

cfpinz

dun":5wwhd3j9 said:
There is a tag remover tool that makes it slick and easy. It's a v shaped end with cutting blades on the inside of the V and a long handle. Same place you got your tags will have it

dun

That's what we use.

cfpinz":2ww7jytk said:
I wouldn't recommend the pocketknife, I've fillet'd the old thumb quite a few times this way. Or maybe I'm just a klutz?

cfpinz

Your just a KLUTZ! Not really.

Scotty

Scotty":1gk24j82 said:
cfpinz":1gk24j82 said:

cfpinz

Your just a KLUTZ! Not really.

Scotty

I freely admit it! But I've been called worse.

cfpinz

Your not a klutz. I have used knives my whole life. Just a part of me now.

Scotty