Ear Tag Issues

Help Support CattleToday:

redluv

Reaction score
Last year we had 2 calves get warts by the button of their ear tags. They got huge and the flies got to them. We cut the tags out and put ointment on the ears to keep flies away. The vet said they most likely got the warts from mom licking the ears (we tag with new tags on the calves every year, so its not possible for the warts to spread that way). Has anyone had this problem?

Can't say that we have. Most of our tag problems have to do with the cattle losing them in the brush and tearing their ears.

I luv herfrds":w742xno3 said:
Can't say that we have. Most of our tag problems have to do with the cattle losing them in the brush and tearing their ears.
Oh yeah, we have that too. We've had 2 calves already rip ears this year, and they aren't even out to pasture yet. I have no clue what they are doing out there, they must really be tearing the pen up in the evenings with all their running.

Can't say I have ever had that problem with tags-maybe you could wait and tag them later, and just tattoo them for now? Or vaccinate for warts.