Ear Tag Information

Help Support CattleToday:

Animals ID number. Like C12 for the 12th calf born in 2015, B1 the first calf born in 2014

I can not keep track of what letter signifies each year.
Cows are given a regular number.
Calves are given the last two digits of the year and a number. 151, 152, 153 etc. We place heifer tags in the left ear and bull calves in the right. Just easier to tell the gender that way.
Breeding bulls have their registration number and DOB on a tag.

Tim/South":1wvubwvl said:
I can not keep track of what letter signifies each year.
Cows are given a regular number.
Calves are given the last two digits of the year and a number. 151, 152, 153 etc. We place heifer tags in the left ear and bull calves in the right. Just easier to tell the gender that way.
Breeding bulls have their registration number and DOB on a tag.
If you know the letter for the current year it's pretty easy to figure out a cows age from the letter. The letter-year is all over the internet. Or you just remember that it's the next letter after last years.

Front top - cow ID
Front middle/bottom - calf ID
Back bottom - sire ID

Somewhere in the front has last name laser etched into tag.

I tag my calves when they're worked with pre-printed numbers, then record which calves go with which cows as I watch them over the next few weeks. I use different colors for steers and heifers.

When I wean heifers they get a new number (and brand), with the last two digits being the year they were weaned. So this year's heifers will be 016, 116, 216, etc.

front - big & in the middle ----- year letter and calf number ... so, first calf this year is D01.

front - bottom left & small ----- sire ID

front - bottom right & small ----- dam ID

This gives me the age and the pedigree on a quick glance.

We use the last digit of the year and start at 1 for the first calf of the year and work our way up. The first calf this year will be 601. Then the boss puts everything else on column paper. She's starting to use the Cattle max program and seems to like it. You folks that write a book on a calfs ear tag must also keep some type of a permanent record also?

I use the tag # the cows were bought with and the calves get that number plus the yr of birth ; 23 dam calve is 235 for 2015 . If cow does not have a number I just pick one im not using for them. when I sell the cow her number goes back into rotation. I only have one number I have retired never to use again #03

The front gets the letter year, and calf number. Back has the cows tag number, and the button gets a mark for which bull it's out of for that year. Purebred bull gets one mark, terminal bull gets two marks. But for 2016 i'm switch too using a yellow tag for terminal calves, and a green tag for calves out of the purebred bull.

True Grit Farms":29rfv7xt said:
We use the last digit of the year and start at 1 for the first calf of the year and work our way up. The first calf this year will be 601. Then the boss puts everything else on column paper. She's starting to use the Cattle max program and seems to like it. You folks that write a book on a calfs ear tag must also keep some type of a permanent record also?
We've been using CattleMax in one version or another for about 15 years. One helluva good product with great support

I keep it simple
all calves from the first one I had are number sequentially.
just had number 650
650 was born in 2015 so the ear tag number is 5650.
first calf next year will be 6651.
first number will tell me the year of birth.
relative position of the next three numbers will tell me the decade.
never have a number repeated unless I turn 1000 head...even with fifty cows that would take 20 years.
all the other stuff I wrote down and remembered....I used to know every cows pedigree by heart...
have used systems where the color of the tag was keyed to the sire and we numbered calves with the dams tag until selection time, when at weaning then they were tagged with their own number.
have used systems in big herd where we started sequentially every year with calf numbers 1,2,3,4, through 400 and used the year as the first number. so the first calf of 2015 would be 5001...this system does have the possibility of duplicated numbers every 10 years. :cowboy:

WalnutCrest":1skn58bj said:
front - big & in the middle ----- year letter and calf number ... so, first calf this year is D01.

front - bottom left & small ----- sire ID

front - bottom right & small ----- dam ID

This gives me the age and the pedigree on a quick glance.

Also, blue tags for fullblood, yellow for purebred, red for recip.

Last number of year of birth, so everything this year will start with a 6. Sure would like to find some tags where the numbers will stay visible longer than 3-4 years....

Our Brand on the top and a number. Calves get tagged the same number as their mama. Steers get an orange tag, heifers get white. KISS is my motto.

Calf gets the cow number. I've started putting the month and year on too.
Have thought of going to one color for male and one for female or right ear for one, left for other but haven't done that and prol won't.
I'm really just happy to get them tagged.
Oh and I can't run them down like I could 30 years ago. For some reason calves run faster then they did in the 80's.

Calf gets cow number. And I keep a spreadsheet in a folder in the console of my truck. I write in the info (#, date, description, sex, condition, etc) and then update it once a month or so on the laptop and print me out a new paper copy for the truck.

Latest posts