Ear Scab on the Outisde, Inside and Edges

Help Support CattleToday:

libertygarden

Reaction score
I sure hope someone can help with this one. I have 6 heifers. Last week I noticed one had what seemed a dried scab on the tip of the ear. I figured she got it caught in a branch or thorn. Today , five have scabs on the ears on the inside, some on the outside and mostly close to edge of the ear. The scab do show signs of bleeding a little but I can't tell if they are infected.

Attached is picture. I treated them with Vetericyn, something the Ag store recommend. Any idea what may be causing this is greatly appreciated.

Yes the ears were fine. It just started last week. Both pictures are the same heifer. There are a lot of flies.

libertygarden said:
I spray them with permethrin but it doesn't seem to work. Any idea how to treat? Thank you.

What you are using should be fine for treatment. Fly tags might help. Use two per animal.
I use Altosid in my summer mineral, I also have curtains on my mineral feeders that contain permethrin and kerosene.
Good Luck, keep us updated.

So last week I applied a pour-on solution called Ultra Saber, 15 ml per head, along their backs. I also treated the infected ears with antibiotic ointment, and sprayed them thoroughly with a 10% permethrin solution just for good measure. I'm not really sure how the pour-on really works since I still see plenty of flies on the cows but at least they aren't getting more infected sores.

Latest posts