Ear Growth / Ear falling off !

Help Support CattleToday:

frank

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would really appreciate some help. We are a long way from a vet and none are available on the long weekend here in Canada. We are really concerned about a problem one of our cows has developed. Her ear is held on by about a 1/4 inch and there are growths in both ears. Anyone have any idea what this is or how to treat the growth?

We have a lot of cows and this is a first for us. Here is what the growth looks like:

http://ranchers.net/photopost/uploads/4438/DSCN1800.jpg
http://ranchers.net/photopost/uploads/4438/DSCN1814.jpg
http://ranchers.net/photopost/uploads/4438/DSCN1819.jpg

The one shows the ear dangling with some colouration left from the growth- there is no real growth left there.

But the growth in the ear is a cumulative mass. It is in both ears. Barnacle like...

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

Frank

Unfortunately I could not make out too much from your photos, they are a bit close but don't show much detail.
That rope around the horn, is it a permanent fixture? Could some strands from that be wrapped around the ear or be biting in somewhere causing granulation tissue?
Ken

frank":us9eo0u0 said:
Hello everyone, I would really appreciate some help. We are a long way from a vet and none are available on the long weekend here in Canada. We are really concerned about a problem one of our cows has developed. Her ear is held on by about a 1/4 inch and there are growths in both ears. Anyone have any idea what this is or how to treat the growth?

We have a lot of cows and this is a first for us. Here is what the growth looks like:

DSCN1800.jpg

DSCN1814.jpg

DSCN1819.jpg

The one shows the ear dangling with some colouration left from the growth- there is no real growth left there.

But the growth in the ear is a cumulative mass. It is in both ears. Barnacle like...

Frank

Hello, Ken.

Thanks for the response. The twine is just around her horn, it had been there since last fall and were reasonably sure it has nothing to do with it. Tried to get better pictures, but she doesn't want to sit still. The ear came off today.

We will try to get her secured and some better pictures.

Frank

frank":287902h2 said:

Frank

It looks like an ear wart to me. If it is an ear wart, you need to call your vet to have it removed.

Vet said to provoke antibodies by cutting the wart. I figured that if the ear falling off didn't provoke an action nothing would.
To make a long story short, it's all gone ! So is the ear, but we are just happy Moma Onyx is healthy again. We were really worried for her.

Thanks everyone.

Frank