Ear Corn

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Planted 5 acers of feild corn this year going to pick it, then grind it for the cows, what would be the best way of storing the ear corn I dont have a corn crib though about building one but not sure, anyone have any ideas?

pricefarm":1p1bmh9v said:
Planted 5 acers of feild corn this year going to pick it, then grind it for the cows, what would be the best way of storing the ear corn I dont have a corn crib though about building one but not sure, anyone have any ideas?
It will keep fine in wagons in a barn with plenty of air in the summer, and tarped in the winter. Also need to keep plenty of cats, or black snakes around. ;-)
Give you tip about grinding: It grinds real good if you grind it at about 20% moisture, helps grind the cobs up, and keeps dust down.

At 20% monsture when you grind it will it not heat up and mold? I have a grain bin and would like to grind around 3 ton at a time and put it in the bin till i feed it

pricefarm":31men21h said:
At 20% monsture when you grind it will it not heat up and mold? I have a grain bin and would like to grind around 3 ton at a time and put it in the bin till i feed it
If you use it with in a week or two it's fine, but if your going to store a bunch better have it drier.
I should of said that in the first place. :roll:

Haven't had any problems using the Sevin dust that I know of. Can it be any worse than pour on wormer or fly and lice killer. We spray
Malathion on all the corn coming out of the combine that we hold to sell later in the year also. Corn weevils are bad around here.

Boy this time of year, it always takes me back to my childhood. I would put an old army duffle bag over one shoulder, and head out to pick it up behind the combine. I feed out a many calf on corn I gathered for free. I always wintered my horse on it. I had access to an old corn crib on my grandfathers place. I still have the sandstone corners it sat on. I had a sheller, and a grinder. I still have the grinder. I'm not sure where the sheller ended up.

It didn't seem to take to long to fill the little corn crib. I bet our modern combines, don't miss enough ears to do that any more.

highgrit":g1w05pn5 said:
Haven't had any problems using the Sevin dust that I know of. Can it be any worse than pour on wormer or fly and lice killer. We spray
Malathion on all the corn coming out of the combine that we hold to sell later in the year also. Corn weevils are bad around here.

Malathion is approved for gardens. (Or was)

Latest posts