ear corn ?

Help Support CattleToday:

ddg1263":1czit832 said:
I bought a Gehl hammer mill (PTO style) last year and I was hoping to harvest a small ear corn crop to make into feed. I live in a drought area and my corn crop failed. So I have been trying to locate some ear corn but no one sells ear corn at a resonable price if you could find it. I think I can come out just as cheap by buying some commodities and mixing them by shovel. It is really hard on my back but I cannot afford expensive feed. I planted a lot of winter grazing, but it is still going to be a hard winter on my pocketbook. One of these days I will be able to afford a vertical mixer and become an efficient producer like the rest of you guys!!!!
Not as easy as a vertical mixer but a decent sized concrete mixer works for moderate sized batches. Frequently they can be oicked fairly cheap at a farmsales. Or you use to could when there were still farm sales going on. They're pretty much a thing of the past around here now.

tom4018":2chkkif5 said:
tncattle":2chkkif5 said:
Can 6-7 wt. steers eat ear corn as feed?

The local mill here will grind it for you, then you can mix in a little distillers or bean meal. My uncle use to always do that.

That's what we used to do for the dairy herd. Bag up some ear corn and oats and take along a few bales of good second crop hay. The feed mill would grind it and add supplements and you come home with a truckload of feed. Cows also got hay and corn silage and dry hay. More in the winter, less in the summer when they were on pasture.

Our local feedlots in Rhodesia used to use the corn, cob and sheath referred to as "snapcorn" it was run through a hammer mill without a screen, and fed with a concentrate made according to analysis, consisting of cottonseed and urea as the main protien content. The feedlots never had losses due to heat during heatwaves, even amongst the exotic (European) breeds, the higher roughage doesn't "steam them up" like the processed corn feeds do.

Latest posts