Ear corn ration

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
J am feeding some 600lb Holsteins and I have some ear corn to grind what would u mix with it?

I wouldn't feed ear corn to them. We use whole shelled corn at 82.5% ration and 17.5% accuration grower/finisher pellet. Holsteins will get to big if they get to much fiber. They need lots of energy!

Just because cheap where I'm at and readily available, I believe I'd use ddg. Many years ago (as a child), we ground a lot of eared corn. We put a little soybean meal in it. Things seemed to grow good on it.

Till-Hill":3mcydtor said:
I wouldn't feed ear corn to them. We use whole shelled corn at 82.5% ration and 17.5% accuration grower/finisher pellet. Holsteins will get to big if they get to much fiber. They need lots of energy!
:shock: :shock: :shock: Guess we better stay away from grass and hay then.

Till-Hill":1vbghj4g said:

What do u mean get to big?? Isn't that the point ????

I feed ear corn I would mix DDGS with it. 2/3 corn 1/3 DDGS.

They will take too long to get finished. 1400# Holsteins that are fat are really nice fats. 1700#+ ones really are a waste of feed.

Thanks. When you said use whole corn are you not grinding shelled corn?

Till-Hill":1m6t9is3 said:
They will take too long to get finished. 1400# Holsteins that are fat are really nice fats. 1700#+ ones really are a waste of feed.
They weigh 600 lbs. Hardly time for a finishing ration. They need some roughage to maintain rumen function. I would at least chop the corn rather than feeding it whole. You'll get a minimum of 12% pass through feeding whole corn. Savings that should more than make up for cost of chopping or grinding.

TexasBred":zdm77y6s said:
Till-Hill":zdm77y6s said:
They weigh 600 lbs. Hardly time for a finishing ration. They need some roughage to maintain rumen function. I would at least chop the corn rather than feeding it whole. You'll get a minimum of 12% pass through feeding whole corn. Savings that should more than make up for cost of chopping or grinding.

Glad you posted that. I have been feeding some whole corn, mixed with DDG. I had wondered if it would pay to have it cracked. Currently, the convenience of feeding it whole is what I am going for, so I cant switch, but the question had been eating at me. calves are growing good on it, and I am mixing it at home.

TB our nutritionist likes whole corn from weaning till 800#. Corn and Accuration pellet is all they will ever eat. Only forage they get is their bedding. At 800# we try to get the corn cracked but we don't own a feed mill and just mix the corn and pellet in TMR and auger it in self feeder.

It's cheap and easy. I wasn't sold on the idea before but after years of never getting our holsteins fat enough to sell good we tried it and I'll never go back. Our guy that buys most of our bull calves they run about 4,000 head a year and that's how they do it too.

Till-Hill":25m5icas said:
TB our nutritionist likes whole corn from weaning till 800#. Corn and Accuration pellet is all they will ever eat. Only forage they get is their bedding. At 800# we try to get the corn cracked but we don't own a feed mill and just mix the corn and pellet in TMR and auger it in self feeder.

It's cheap and easy. I wasn't sold on the idea before but after years of never getting our holsteins fat enough to sell good we tried it and I'll never go back. Our guy that buys most of our bull calves they run about 4,000 head a year and that's how they do it too.
That's fine and yes smaller calves will eat the corn more thoroughly. Whatever grabs you but if you feed out a lot of cattle you waste a lot of corn. I've seen lot of whole corn sprout and come up in manure. But it's your money. Don't change a thing.

TexasBred":1wwoq5cx said:
Till-Hill":1wwoq5cx said:

The big stein growers in this area have them on full corn from weaning, along with a protein supplement. Roughage is limited to bedding or between 1-2 pounds per day. Too much hay you will have too big of frame on them if finished out, you will get docked pretty heavily as they will sell as 'silage fed'. Things may be different in other parts of country though.

ChrisB":28cpuf8a said:
The big stein growers in this area have them on full corn from weaning, along with a protein supplement. Roughage is limited to bedding or between 1-2 pounds per day. Too much hay you will have too big of frame on them if finished out, you will get docked pretty heavily as they will sell as 'silage fed'. Things may be different in other parts of country though.
I'm surprised those cattle can even walk because of laminitis caused by acidosis. Most probably also add Rumensin which serves somewhat as a buffer to maintain rumen ph.

TexasBred":23yuer42 said:
ChrisB":23yuer42 said:
I'm surprised those cattle can even walk because of laminitis caused by acidosis. Most probably also add Rumensin which serves somewhat as a buffer to maintain rumen ph.

Yes there is usually Rumensin included in the supplement. But there still seems to be some foundering, not sure what percentage of steers though.

ChrisB":3clbch1q said:
TexasBred":3clbch1q said:
ChrisB":3clbch1q said:

Yes there is usually Rumensin included in the supplement. But there still seems to be some foundering, not sure what percentage of steers though.
With such an imbalance between grain and forage I'd think 90% of the would have feet problems, digestive problems and loss of gain. Need about 25 lbs. to the ton of sodium bicarb in a mix like that and still may not maintain proper rumen ph.

We feed a little bit of hay in the ration while young but mainly made up of gluten and corn. Dont really see many more foot problems than you do if you let them get to big. Neighbor let some get to big and put in confinement barn he ended up buying extra freezers to put all the downers in.

bmoore87":312k5dph said:
We feed a little bit of hay in the ration while young but mainly made up of gluten and corn. Dont really see many more foot problems than you do if you let them get to big. Neighbor let some get to big and put in confinement barn he ended up buying extra freezers to put all the downers in.
A ration with 80% corn or more is going to cause problems. You may not notice it but when they all have the same problem (internal) they all look alike. :nod: When laying down 80% or more of your cattle should be ruminating. That's a good indication of a healthy rumen and the excess saliva serves as a buffer as well. Hopefully yours are. :nod:

Latest posts