ear corn price?

Help Support CattleToday:

wade

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea on how much a person should pay for ear corn? I am going to run it through my hammermill and feed it to my brood sows.

Does anyone know how to tell how many bushel different size gravity boxes hold. And how does this work with ear corn versus shelled corn. Obviously your going to get more bushels of shelled corn in a box than ear corn? Someone explain this to me will ya?

Nobody puts up any ear corn around this area anymore. Haven't seen any in years. Maybe Somn will see your post and reply. He's had some background with it if I remember correctly.

Using todays corn closing here in my area I would only pay $.05 per pound for dry ear corn. Don't worry how many bushels are in the wagon use only weights from a scale. For years the standard has been 70 lbs ear corn = 1 bushel of shell corn. But 2 years ago I bought a variety from a neighbor that ended up 68# . Probably on account of the newer hybrids having smaller cob. But these are dry weights to 15% anything wetter you will need to add 1.4% weight for every 1% moisture. For example 17% corn will require 71.96# of ear corn to = 1 bushel of shelled corn. Use the 70# standard when figuring price. Not every hybrid has the smaller cob. A bushel is 1.244 cubic feet if you are able to figure cubic feet considering all the different angles and measurments of some wagons have at it otherwise use the advice from my second sentence.

Do you have anyone that raises buffalo in the area? They will usually supplement with cob corn, or know of someone who has some for sale.

Best option I have for you besides the old stand by: Ask, ask, ask anyone and everyone, pretty soon you will come up with a name or two.

Michele

Calculating volume of a gravity wagon can be done but as somn says use the scale weights to actually buy it is the most fair way. As a reference though you can use the following formula: For Shell corn L X W X D x.8 =bushels. For ear corn the formula is L X W D X .4 = bushels These are with all dimensions listed in feet and tenths of feet.
Another item to consider is that standard moisture shrink is 1.2% shrink for every full percent of moisture above 15%.
Most elevators charge 1.4% shrink but that includes a physical shrink for handling the grain and in your case you will not have that as it will all only be handled once when you are using it.
Good Luck.