ear clipping

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am buying my first cows in a couple of weeks and having them delivered to our ranch. I applied for and have a brand. Part of the brand calls for clipping the tip of the left ear. I am assuming a good sharp pair of scissors will do the job. Will there be much bleeding? What kind of medicine will need to be applied? You all will probably be hearing alot more from me. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks

[email protected]

Usually ears are notched or tipped using a very sharo knife, it's quicker then using a shears. There will be blood, not as much as castration but some, depending on how much of the ear has to be removed. You can use a blood stopper on it but it's not necessarry.

dunmovin farms

> I am buying my first cows in a
> couple of weeks and having them
> delivered to our ranch. I applied
> for and have a brand. Part of the
> brand calls for clipping the tip
> of the left ear. I am assuming a
> good sharp pair of scissors will
> do the job. Will there be much
> bleeding? What kind of medicine
> will need to be applied? You all
> will probably be hearing alot more
> from me. Any help or advice is
> appreciated.

> Thanks

> appreciated.

> Thanks Sounds a little cruel to me - if you brand then why do you need to clip the ear? Have never heard of such a thing - I would check it out further if I was you.

It's actually a very common practice and is usually specified by the entity that issues brands. When there are only six locations to apply a brand and multiple people use the same brand ear notching are tipping allows for a lot more variations and more possible users for the same brand. For each brand and brand location by adding ears you can have left ear top notch, left ear bottom notch, left ear tipped, left ear tipped and notched, then you start on the right ear and even combine the ears. It's probably no different in stress then having the bottom of the scrotum cut off for castration. I personally wouldn't want any of them done to me, but I can be identified by fingerprints I don't thinnk that would work on a cow.

dunmovin farms

> appreciated.

> Thanks I run a small herd of Angus cattle in California, when you apply for your brand with the Calif.Ag Dept. you specify if you would like any earmarking. If you are running cattle with other people it is easy to identify your cattle quickly or from a distance by your earmark if you can not see the brand. A very sharp knife is the best method to crop the ear.

[email protected]