E Texas--when and how do ya plant sugar cane?

Help Support CattleToday:

Been over 35 years but about all I can remember is a long time after the last frost in the spring and harvest before first frost in the fall.

Plant it as soon as you get it. Dig a trench 12 or so inches deep and lay stalks in it and cover. New stalks will sprout from the joints when the weather warms in the spring of the year.

12" deep? Dunno if I have 12" of topsoil without getting into some awful sticky red clay. Do ya plant that deep just to protect the joints from frost?

KT, if I buy the seedstock now, will it ruin it if it freezes in my barn this winter? I don't know if any will be available next spring unless I go over to Louisiana.

greybeard":20kjcsox said:
12" deep? Dunno if I have 12" of topsoil without getting into some awful sticky red clay. Do ya plant that deep just to protect the joints from frost?

KT, if I buy the seedstock now, will it ruin it if it freezes in my barn this winter? I don't know if any will be available next spring unless I go over to Louisiana.

It has been so long i am not much help. I dont remember buying the seed until maybe a week before we planted. I would not think the seed would hurt as long as it stayed dry and you can keep the mice out of it. But you better wait for more answers.

greybeard":3rkq0t0f said:
Plant it 6 inches deep then. Or 4 inches. The depth isn't critical and can be adjusted to your soil profile. Yes, it will ruin if it freezes or dries out in storage. The stalks will neither freeze nor dry out if they're in the ground and that's why you go ahead and plant it when you get it.

greybeard":3v3cb0kl said:
Going to Baytown to pick up some seed cane next couple of days.
When do ya plant it, and how?
Are you planting sugar cane or ribbon cane? Planting would be the same either way. Joegeepuis sent me some old time ribbon cane several years ago. Planted it in the garden and it did okay but were in a drought and I lost the plants even with watering

Douglas":3h5cwbwv said:
I thought you planted a short piece of cane horizonally, and it would sprout in mutiple locations.

I planted about 5' stalks horizontally 4" deep. This was in Oct. I live in weather zone 8 and they came up in Dec and are about 16" now.

Around here they plant at least 10 inches down, after breaking the hard clay.

We grew sugar cane in our garden area. My husband planted the joints about 8 to 10 inches deep. Sugar cane requires a lot of water. We lost it all due to drought several years ago.
We have a press also.

greybeard":2c9jsmxa said:
Deer and/or hogs ate mine, including what was under the soil.
Must have been hogs. I've been growing sugar cane for years and have never seen any deer damage.