dystocia and epd"s

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie

Reaction score
I talked to a breed association execuctive today and they mentioned the fact that in a different breed that the epd for ced and the bw epd had a negative correlation . I wonder which if either would correlate negatively with dystocia? No I haven't started believing in the benefit of epd's, just thought it made intellectual fodder.

As the Birth EPD goes up CED goes down. As CED goes up dystocia goes down. There are always exceptions to the rule.
I don't know about other breeds but the Red Angus breed we incorperate the Birth EPD into the CED EPD.

ollie":3dulaz4z said:
I talked to a breed association execuctive today and they mentioned the fact that in a different breed that the epd for ced and the bw epd had a negative correlation . I wonder which if either would correlate negatively with dystocia? No I haven't started believing in the benefit of epd's, just thought it made intellectual fodder.

Tod Dague":31zwzrac said:
As the Birth EPD goes up CED goes down. As CED goes up dystocia goes down. There are always exceptions to the rule.
I don't know about other breeds but the Red Angus breed we incorperate the Birth EPD into the CED EPD.

ollie":31zwzrac said:
Tod,
This person said that as bw epd went up that the ced was also going up. Hence the negative correlation. Could it be from the bigger stouter made cows calve easier?

Wouldn't that be a positive correlation? As one goes up the other goes up. A negative correlation would be as one goes up the other goes down.
The maternal componet (CETM) sould be factored out of the CED EPD otherwise the EPD has no worth in the real world.
Don't know of any breed where the 100 lbs calf was easier calving than a 60 lbs calf. What breed was that?

ollie":nz6zglx2 said:
Tod Dague":nz6zglx2 said:

ollie":nz6zglx2 said:
Tod,
This person said that as bw epd went up that the ced was also going up. Hence the negative correlation. Could it be from the bigger stouter made cows calve easier?