Dying Young in Kentucky

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
While the vast majority of the country experienced increases in life expectancy since 1980, several counties saw decreases, with eight of the 10 cities with the largest decreases in Kentucky. They include:

Owsley County, Kentucky (-3 percent)
Lee County, Kentucky (-2 percent)
Leslie County, Kentucky (-1.9 percent)
Breathitt County, Kentucky (-1.4 percent)
Clay County, Kentucky (-1.3 percent)
Powell County, Kentucky (-1.1 percent)
Estill County, Kentucky (-1 percent)
Perry County, Kentucky (-0.8 percent)
Kiowa County, Oklahoma (-0.7 percent)
Perry County, Alabama (-0.6 percent)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/life-expect ... -you-live/

Tobacco, drugs, alcohol. Everyone of those counties are in Eastern Kentucky. There are no jobs. The natives look for a means of escape.

The was a TV show about some sheriff in KY and dealt with the mostly drug problems they had there. Pretty country but I wouldn;t want to be any where near it

dun":qu29e5u4 said:
The was a TV show about some sheriff in KY and dealt with the mostly drug problems they had there. Pretty country but I wouldn;t want to be any where near it
The TV show was about Harlan Co, KY and after the show the sheriff got beat. Drugs and unemployment are bad. I am in the joining County in VA

Living in Kentucky and seeing a lot of people with cancer including myself,we've wondered why it's so prevalent. I've heard a lot of ideas including the ones mentioned. My guess is the water, well more the treatment used for county water.

Our county borders 2 of the counties mentioned. My family has been involved in mission work in one of those counties for several years, through our church. As has been mentioned lack of jobs, addictions over generations have had devastating affects on the communities. We have come to know several families and individuals, some of the life stories and living conditions are heart breaking. I have to say though, that in all things considered I am much more comfortable anywhere in eastern KY, than I would be in a big city.

Ky hills":we4a8nrf said:
Our county borders 2 of the counties mentioned. My family has been involved in mission work in one of those counties for several years, through our church. As has been mentioned lack of jobs, addictions over generations have had devastating affects on the communities. We have come to know several families and individuals, some of the life stories and living conditions are heart breaking. I have to say though, that in all things considered I am much more comfortable anywhere in eastern KY, than I would be in a big city.
100% agree

kenny thomas":rmmdqief said:
dun":rmmdqief said:
The TV show was about Harlan Co, KY and after the show the sheriff got beat. Drugs and unemployment are bad. I am in the joining County in VA
That's the one, didn;t know about the sheriff. But all I knew about it any way was what was in the program. If that drug crap they showed was reasonably accurate that is scary stuff

kickinbull":2kyrn4fx said:
Living in Kentucky and seeing a lot of people with cancer including myself,we've wondered why it's so prevalent. I've heard a lot of ideas including the ones mentioned. My guess is the water, well more the treatment used for county water.

You are more correct than you may realize. The By-Products of potable water chlorination are proven carcinogens.

I advise everyone to have a carbon filter for the water they use for drinking and cooking.

Bright Raven":2rqlxmj8 said:
kickinbull":2rqlxmj8 said:

You are more correct than you may realize. The By-Products of potable water chlorination are proven carcinogens.

I advise everyone to have a carbon filter for the water they use for drinking and cooking.
The EPA has required testing for Disinfection By-Products (DBP's) for this reason. My local water is always well below threshold in these categories. If anyone is worried about it, contact your local public water supply. They are required every year by law to provide consumers with a report (Consumer Confidence Report or CCR) detailing all water testing results. The system operator should be able to explain this report.

Clodhopper":32n2sed9 said:
Bright Raven":32n2sed9 said:
kickinbull":32n2sed9 said:

The EPA has required testing for Disinfection By-Products (DBP's) for this reason. My local water is always well below threshold in these categories. If anyone is worried about it, contact your local public water supply. They are required every year by law to provide consumers with a report (Consumer Confidence Report or CCR) detailing all water testing results. The system operator should be able to explain this report.

Exactly.

Bright Raven":2ges3w74 said:
Clodhopper":2ges3w74 said:
Bright Raven":2ges3w74 said:

Exactly.
Not to hijack, but the EPA ain't all bad!

I would be interested to see the longest lived counties. Hamilton County, which is a little west and south of me, seems to have an abnormally high amount of 90 and 100 year olds in the local obituaries. It's unreal, sometimes there'll be a couple of deaths in a week of people past the century mark. The biggest town in the county is probably 2500-3000 souls.

Clodhopper":1ia13gc7 said:
Bright Raven":1ia13gc7 said:
Clodhopper":1ia13gc7 said:

Exactly.

I would be interested to see the longest lived counties. Hamilton County, which is a little west and south of me, seems to have an abnormally high amount of 90 and 100 year olds in the local obituaries. It's unreal, sometimes there'll be a couple of deaths in a week of people past the century mark. The biggest town in the county is probably 2500-3000 souls.

Mason County here on the banks of the Ohio has been the center of cancer studies due to the high cancer rate. Some say the water, others say the power plants. The Ohio was a cess pool for many years. There are other factors that were mentioned. Mason County has above normal alcohol consumption and smoking is still far above the national average.

Bright Raven":2f0uwfef said:
Clodhopper":2f0uwfef said:
Bright Raven":2f0uwfef said:

Mason County here on the banks of the Ohio has been the center of cancer studies due to the high cancer rate. Some say the water, others say the power plants. The Ohio was a cess pool for many years. There are other factors that were mentioned. Mason County has above normal alcohol consumption and smoking is still far above the national average.
It seems our tristate area (Southern IL, Southern IN, Western KY) has an above average smoking level. I would say the use of chewing tobacco is even higher than smoking, but I don't hear much about that.

Just watched Lexington news coverage of the decrease in longevity in the 8 eastern Kentucky counties. Obesity and smoking were cited in addition to lack of access to health care.

The underlying reason was cited as POVERTY.

Bright Raven":3mvc99l8 said:
Just watched Lexington news coverage of the decrease in longevity in the 8 eastern Kentucky counties. Obesity and smoking were cited in addition to lack of access to health care.

The underlying reason was cited as POVERTY.

Only in America can obesity, smoking and poverty be linked together.

Latest posts