dwarf sudane grass bales

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
bales about 60 of these off 4 acres this year. hard to dry, put it up a little wet. about 5-8 bales are little moldy but the rest did amazing. dried great and look wonderful.

these bales are 200 lbs heavier then my standard grass hay bales.

this stuff would make some insanely good pasture for rotation as well. very easily established w/ a no till.

ddd75":645d0wgn said:
bales about 60 of these off 4 acres this year. hard to dry, put it up a little wet. about 5-8 bales are little moldy but the rest did amazing. dried great and look wonderful.

this stuff would make some insanely good pasture for rotation as well. very easily established w/ a no till.

Are the stems a little smaller on that stuff?

yea. still hard to get them to dry though. supposed to cut it at knee high. anything over that and the stems start getting pretty thick. around a 50 cent piece.

i let it go instead of getting the 4th cutting off it. it got to be 6' tall.

It bales and makes better hay if cut with a conditioner to break open the stems.
If your stems weren't broken open I suspect the extra 200 lbs is moisture.

ddd75 said:

this stuff would make some insanely good pasture for rotation as well. very easily established w/ a no till.[/quote

Its not by any chance this stuff here is it?
http://hearneseed.com/piper-sudangrass/
I have thought about doing something like this on a few acres....in order to let some of my pastures get established a little better in perennials.
When do you plant it?

i doubt the extra 200 lbs is moisture since these bales were baled in jun, july and august. i hope they are dry by now .. haha

yes a conditioner would be the ticket to getting those stems to dry. no doubt. I don't have one.

yes I do agree wrapping would be the best option! I can rent a hay wrapper here for 100/day but my little baler doesn't like wet hay.. so i'd have to buy a different baler and those heavy wet bales would be about all my lil 65hp tractor would be able to lift.

Latest posts