Dwarf Carriers

Help Support CattleToday:

SEC

Reaction score
I would like anyone with information on Dwarf carrierse of the Angus breed to PM me with what they know please. I had a visit with a gentleman the other day and he was mentioning some problems he encountered about a bloodline that is at the top of Angus popularity that may contain the dwarf gene.

Thanks

Yep we all know that EVERYONE that gets a dwarf reports em.

Just like everyone always bands those 100lb bull calfs. :roll:

MD

Thanks, I already know of that. I am looking for the ones that aren't reported and yet commonly known of.

It would be like Traveler 722, isn't recorded as a bull that leaves scurs yet you will find his progeny have them.

SEC":1d2hvclj said:
Thanks, I already know of that. I am looking for the ones that aren't reported and yet commonly known of.

It would be like Traveler 722, isn't recorded as a bull that leaves scurs yet you will find his progeny have them.

In other words, you're looking for gossip. Anyone can say any animal is a dwarf carrier. It's not until tests have been done that we really know if it's true or not. So let me tell you that I know of no Angus bulls that are dwarf carriers except those listed on the website. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply gossiping and spreading rumors. Want to base your breeding program on gossip and rumors, go ahead.

You are funny, frankie.

There are plenty of dwarf carriers around, just not reported to AAA.

Cropped up in commercial herds that AI.

mtnman

mtnman":hogxptpo said:
You are funny, frankie.

mtnman
After taking the time and expense to AI my cows if I were to get a dwarf I would be pissed. There is no way that I wouldn't report it.

Why would people not report them? Laziness?

Tod Dague":1vqdza0k said:
After taking the time and expense to AI my cows if I were to get a dwarf I would be be nice. There is no way that I wouldn't report it.

Maybe it was from the cow.

Wewild":54jl5ttd said:
Tod Dague":54jl5ttd said:
After taking the time and expense to AI my cows if I were to get a dwarf I would be be nice. There is no way that I wouldn't report it.

I thought it was recessive and required a copy from each parent.

Once in a while gossip turns out to be right on the money, and it is a sure bet that the AAA won't give out any useful information until they have to. That is the beauty of this forum, sometimes you gotta sort the wheat from the chaff, but there is a lot of good info on here.

SEC: if you hear something, could you pm me and let me know too?

Tod Dague":2po6xltc said:
Wewild":2po6xltc said:
Tod Dague":2po6xltc said:

I thought it was recessive and required a copy from each parent.

Then it would definitly be in the cow. Seems you know better than me.

both parents do not have to be carriers to have a dwarf. i just sold a cow that has had to calves from 2 different bulls and both were small. she was bred back to her dad and it was squatty dwarf. she was then bred to my bull and the calf was normal only very, very small built. the cow was half holstien x half maine, she was tall.

SEC,
Have you or the gentlemen you spoke with contacted the AAA with your question? I you have, what was their response? If you haven't, why not?

Jacarkie - Both parents DO have to have the dwarf gene to get a dwarf calf. They will not have a dwarf everytime, but the gene is there regardless and without linebreeding can remain in some animals for many, many generations. By your description, the cow got the gene from her father. Please do not keep any heifers of the cow and notify the breeder of the bull if known so that his genes are not passed down to other herds.

We live in a corrupt world, as we all know.

What if the powers vested wouldn't acknowledge this because of the impact this would have on the current industry and all the money that has been spent in promotion and pumping up the alleged bloodline. There would be to much at stake until it happens to the wrong person.

It would be like BSE, who wants to admit it's there until you get caught with it.
That statement sucks but many take that stand. I think if it's there let's deal with it, clean up and move on.

But nobody wants to spread the bad word.

Influential breeders and people can utilize the wrong powers somedays!

Tod Dague":9lo23j2q said:
mtnman":9lo23j2q said:
You are funny, frankie.

mtnman

IF a dwarf pops up that means half of all the calves you have on your place sired by him are dwarf carriers. Worse it also means that the dam is a dwarf carrier so in all likelihood her sire, her MGS, and/or the cow family on your farm she is from also has a bunch of dwarf carriers in it. If you are a commercial stockyard dude, this is not a big deal.....just don't use that bull again. IF you are a papered herd that sells cattle based on their pedigree, it is NOT in your financial best interests to make it public that one or more animals in your fancy high dollar pedigrees iare dwarf carriers. I know I am going to get hammered for saying this; but purely from a financial standpoint the thing to do is to shoot the dwarf and then have a big mature cow herd dispersal before somebody goes public with the bad news. These days you can repop practically overnight with embryos......I didn't say that was the RIGHT thing to do, but this is one of those moral conundrums I don't want to ever have to face myself.

Brandonm2":qpp85351 said:
Tod Dague":qpp85351 said:
mtnman":qpp85351 said:
You are funny, frankie.

mtnman

IF a dwarf pops up that means half of all the calves you have on your place sired by him are dwarf carriers. Worse it also means that the dam is a dwarf carrier so in all likelihood her sire, her MGS, and/or the cow family on your farm she is from also has a bunch of dwarf carriers in it. If you are a commercial stockyard dude, this is not a big deal.....just don't use that bull again. IF you are a papered herd that sells cattle based on their pedigree, it is NOT in your financial best interests to make it public that one or more animals in your fancy high dollar pedigrees iare dwarf carriers. I know I am going to get hammered for saying this; but purely from a financial standpoint the thing to do is to shoot the dwarf and then have a big mature cow herd dispersal before somebody goes public with the bad news. These days you can repop practically overnight with embryos......I didn't that was the RIGHT thing to do, but this is one of those moral conundrums I don't want to ever have to face myself.
I guess that explains it. Sure does suck.

mtnman":446bqfuw said:

OK; Great, do us all a favor and name them please. Since there are so many it should be very easy to name at least a half dozen or so.

PS: Could you also do us a favor, and state how you know they are dwarf carriers for our own peace of mind. We wouldnt want to confuse fact with gossip, hearsay or anything like that.

Latest posts