Dust storm

Help Support CattleToday:

That was the 1st time I have seen a dust storm. There are a bunch of softball feilds near my house so the sky was orange from the sand

Lammie, today when it blew in I was at a CiCi's pizza for a b'day party for my nephew. When his grandmother and her sister-in-law were leaving, his grandmother said, "Can you smell the dirt and dust, Alice?" I told her that I had been smelling it for awhile...inside of CiCi's. Her sister-in-law said that it smelled like Lubbock. I said, "What?" She said, "I was raised in Lubbock. This is nothing unusual for Lubbock. I think all of Lubbock is blowing in here." I've heard that before about Lubbock.

YES...not only could I smell it, I could taste it...inside of CiCi's Pizza!

She wasn 't kidding, I currently live in Lubbock, and that wind blows often. Today it blew a little harder than usual, should have seen all the tumble weed(russian thistle) quite impressive

Parkerson Cattle Co.":m75oghhr said:
Lammie, today when it blew in I was at a CiCi's pizza for a b'day party for my nephew. When his grandmother and her sister-in-law were leaving, his grandmother said, "Can you smell the dirt and dust, Alice?" I told her that I had been smelling it for awhile...inside of CiCi's. Her sister-in-law said that it smelled like Lubbock. I said, "What?" She said, "I was raised in Lubbock. This is nothing unusual for Lubbock. I think all of Lubbock is blowing in here." I've heard that before about Lubbock.

She wasn 't kidding, I currently live in Lubbock, and that wind blows often. Today it blew a little harder than usual, should have seen all the tumble weed(russian thistle) quite impressive

My son lives in Amarillo and one of his first impressions of the Panhandle was the tumbleweeds. Says they are bigger than his car and they stop traffic on I-40.

Backhoe...don't see how you made it all day... :shock:

I stayed with it until the wind started moving the Polaris and trailer! Figured I had had enough...my eyes are swollen and sore this morning, although I am headed out to see how many t-post blew down... :lol:

I lived in Lubbock for a number of years and have seen the roads closed due to sand covering the roads to the point you could not find the road.. :shock: Lubbock is a great place until the spring and the sandstorms are just unbelievable!!! I remember one lasting five days... :mad:

Van

we get them in az that you cannot see 20' in front of you sometimes causing major accidents on the freeways , it is like hitting a block wall as far as visability goes, fortunatlly they do not usually last more than an hour or so, it is like sandblasting you car as far as paint goes , and it will really etch your glass bad.

Parkerson Cattle Co.":fk0k89au said:

I saw the news. I live 60 miles south of Lubbock. The tumble weeds were as high as the roofs on the hnagers at the airport. Looked like one rancher out here had his fence toppled by them.

Visibility was somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 mile during the worst of it at our place. We lost shingles and the cap off the chimney; have to call the insurance guy this morning. :(

vbd":tbltxx6y said:
Backhoe...don't see how you made it all day... :shock:

I stayed with it until the wind started moving the Polaris and trailer! Figured I had had enough...my eyes are swollen and sore this morning, although I am headed out to see how many t-post blew down... :lol:

I lived in Lubbock for a number of years and have seen the roads closed due to sand covering the roads to the point you could not find the road.. :shock: Lubbock is a great place until the spring and the sandstorms are just unbelievable!!! I remember one lasting five days... :mad:

Van

There wasn't much choice. Had to move a portable pen and chute, get a cow in a head gate and milk her down. The wind was tough on those panels. I didn't get hit by any flying tin, but much of a neighbor's old barn is scattered through my place. I chased young calves for hours. They didn't know what to do in that wind. I got out the rope and roped a couple from foot. Then the wind blew the gate open and they all got out again. They penned much easier the second run and the wind was beginning to lay by then.

Yesterday I was up at my daughter's house and their wood fence held tight. It has tube steel runners/rails welded to pipe posts concreted in the ground. The wood pickets are screwed to the tube steel rails. Their fence was the only one standing in the whole neighborhood. This should be a boom business for Home Depot or Lowe's. There is split wood posts and rails as well as busted pickets all over that development. One of the neighbors lost a trampoline and found it in a pasture about a half mile away.

We were up on our new roof trying to keep the tar paprer from blowing off to no avail - looks like we will be back up there today putting it back on. It was bad, worse then I've ever seen it here I think.

that wind came through here Saturday just before dark - amazing
the sky was brown - had me checking the weather and listening for the sirens - but the radar was clear
we didn't have any damage but the neighbors had some trees damaged in January's ice storm and now they don't have to get a ladder - Mother Nature just blew those limbs down.
One guy you can barely see his house for the limbs.

Latest posts