Dust Bowl

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else heard anything about this: I'm hearing that this years drought will make it worse than the dust bowl was.

I'm really hopeing i'm hearing this wrong.

Anyone else have any info on this?

Got so hot and dry last summer the Red River shorted out and burned into in two places.

Cal

Abslutely last year was worse than the dustbowl, for this county. It was worse than anything in the 50's too. Then we also had some record breaking temperatures in the fall to boot. You can check the records. It was posted in the local paper. It has been so bad that it has attracted a lot of media attention. Fort Worth was hurting but they received a lot of rain we didn't get.

Difference is that this drought is not as widespread. Cattle prices stayed up. There are not as many people farming either. During the "dustbowl" the entire country was suffering.

The wildfires were worse because there are small places around that haven't been upkept. During the dustbowl era there were more farms around without vegetation. I saw cedar trees literally FLASH, just like gasoline does, in the 40 MPH winds on one wildfire. Each day a new wildfire started somewhere. There were people who spread their hay out to different locations on their places and some still lost everything, even with fire breaks plowed.

I was LMAO at the posts stating, "Famers were burning needles off of prickly pear and feeding them to cows in the 50's...." Most of the prickly pear on my place looked like dried up pieces of carboard and it readily burned. Also, if you burned anything you were fined $2,000.

You can't even strike an arc with a welding rod. They were throwing welders in jail and the landowners too if they violated the ban. I have stacks of tube steel to build panels and chutes with still cannot strike an arc. Can't use outdoor grills either.

There were places north and west of here that received over 20 inches of rain in the early fall and drought striken areas on the flood plains were flooded out. Possum Kingdom Lake picked up 7 feet and they were dumping heavy.

I haven't seen a misquito in 11 months.

That sounds terrible.
You can't even weld inside a shop building?

It's not looking good folks! Today early the wind suddenly picked up here. Now (and for past several hours) wind has been in the 35-50 mph range. Sand blowing everywhere. All around us, just a light brown horizon, sky, visibility probably 1 mile or so. Even the fields that farmers put cotton bur compost on are blowing sand...

We haven't had any significant rain since September, 2005 (probably less than 2" total). Outlook still looking bleak for rain.

Not much prospect over next week or so for any calm wind (10-20 mph)...lol...except possibly 2 days or so.

We can't even run any sprinklers in our small paddocks/pens because wind is too high!

May have to get "Desert Storm" goggles for all of our cattle and horses...!

Could use 6-12" of slow rain over next month, plus 2-4" monthly for rest of year...Yes..."I'm dreaming"!!!

BH":3q5jg1xs said:
That sounds terrible.
You can't even weld inside a shop building?

Shop welding is permitted. Sorry for not responding sooner, I've been out digging mesquite trees.

Duh! Makes sense, sorry stupid question :oops:

Mesquite trees huh, sounds like fun! 8) ;-) We've been cutting hedge to clear part of a pasture and make some fence posts.

Last year I pushed a few acres of old growth cedar. Some of the trees are huge so I trimmed them and left them. I cut several good corner posts and left them to dry. Some are simply too large to use. I don't like wood posts because of the fire hazards and I have lost entire fences. However, I couldn't see wasting the good posts so I will use them on interior fencing at some point maybe.

The brush that I pushed over the last year and a half is all piled. It is an eyesore for me. As soon as the burn ban is lifted and we have a substantial rain going on, those piles are going up in smoke. As dry as they are, I should have some significant flames and hopefully it will be over quick.

Have some welding to do and also brush piles to burn but don't dare to do either in this area 2000 dollars is pretty hard to turn over to the law officials.

Cal

Calman":2se2damn said:
Have some welding to do and also brush piles to burn but don't dare to do either in this area 2000 dollars is pretty hard to turn over to the law officials.

Cal

You might also wind up with tar and feathers all over you.

Our fire fighters are all volunteer and they have had a very hard year.

We are also in a catch 22. Folks that have been burned out don't dare go back with wood posts. Yet they can't put up pipe corners and braces because of the welding ban.

Calman":1is5v0te said:

Cal
Burn ban was lifted in our county. I am a Volunteer Firefighter and know better than to burn under a ban. I just hope others burn responsibly.

Latest posts