Dust Bag -for Fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

CircleA

Reaction score
howdy all,
I use a dust bag for my girls to control flys. Seems to work well. Although, the longhorns destroyed one last year.

My question is, how far from the ground should the bag hang?

thanks all

Alex

We used to hanf them so that the solid bag part was just above the cows back line. So the mesh part would brush them.
We finally quit using them because a couple of cows thought it was fun to stand under them and bat them till they were empty. We had two tone cows, white on the top, black or red on the bottom.

dun

CircleA":t831r1of said:
howdy all,
I use a dust bag for my girls to control flys. Seems to work well. Although, the longhorns destroyed one last year.

My question is, how far from the ground should the bag hang?

thanks all

Alex

I attempted to use a dust bag on my cow's, I decided it would probably be cheaper to hire someone to swat them for me. My bull thought it was a punching bag or a toy and would give it a good work out, and eventually the girl's caught on and it would only last about 2-3 days at about $22.00 a pop.
I find it easiest for me to spray them down with a fly control solution mixed in a weed sprayer, I spray them down while they are eating and the spray typically last 2-3 week's, depending on the amount of rain we receive.
Chris

well, i have experienced just what y'all are talking about. Dang, reckon we could move to Alaska, not many flies there i reckon! :lol:

Alex

That's the reason we went to the permethrin/diesel mops

dun

CircleA":jiwb0amw said:
well, i have experienced just what y'all are talking about. Dang, reckon we could move to Alaska, not many flies there i reckon! :lol:

Alex

Dust bags work if you dont hang them under trees. Mine hangs in four ft. gate in full sun that they have to pass through every 3 to 4 days when changing pastures. used mostly when its raining alot. we use wicks & bullets when it starts to get dryer [july to october].
You can put "Sevin Dust" in your dust bag. Walmart, cheap.
Hillbilly