dusk to dawn lights

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
just ordered 2 200watt dusk to dawn lights today. they are 15 bucks a month I was pleased with the cost and what im getting. I just hope 200watt won't make my yard look like a football stadium. I have some 100 watt dusk to dawn lights on my shop and they are not that bright could be cause I bought those from lowes and the types of bulbs but how many of yall have the power company dusk to dawn lights installed and what wattage?

I have 2 of the big that Home Depot sells. There mounted over my deer feeders, one in the front yard and one in the backyard. Ones a piece of junk and the other works every time I plug it in.

Yea ours here is 9.56 a month for 100watts 11.47 month for 150 watts 15.36 for 200 watts. I like the fact they are responsible for changing bulbs and fixing it if it breaks. These lights have to be mounted on the power poles since the power company is responsible for them.

skyhightree1":189xzp8j said:
just ordered 2 200watt dusk to dawn lights today. they are 15 bucks a month I was pleased with the cost and what im getting. I just hope 200watt won't make my yard look like a football stadium. I have some 100 watt dusk to dawn lights on my shop and they are not that bright could be cause I bought those from lowes and the types of bulbs but how many of yall have the power company dusk to dawn lights installed and what wattage?
Got you some big "booger lights" huh?? :lol: :lol: What are you afraid of? We had one but had it turned off a few years ago. Enjoy he DARK much more. Heck I can actually see the Milky Way now.

TexasBred":27puoudc said:
skyhightree1":27puoudc said:
Got you some big "booger lights" huh?? :lol: :lol: What are you afraid of? We had one but had it turned off a few years ago. Enjoy he DARK much more. Heck I can actually see the Milky Way now.

lol I didn't want the boogie man to get me and keep me off c.t. also to see those freaking dogs that come turn my trash over and very nicely distribute it over my yard :mad:

Don't buy those florescent ones, they ain't worth dragging home, I bought 2 and they didn't work 6 months.

Larry

the ones i bought are something called high pressure sodium from the power company others i dont know off the top of my head but i think they are flourescent ones i already have

TexasBred":2dlp92x1 said:
skyhightree1":2dlp92x1 said:

My great grandma is the only person i had ever heard call em booger lights. Tb is a northerner in hiding i think. As for giving thieves light that maybe but my aunt called papaw and told him when somebody was outside his shop and her house is easily 250 yards

Paying $8.60 + tax per month for 100 watt HPS light here.

My pet peeve is that there was always our own yardlight on our own switch on the meter pole for 60+ years since the beginning of REA in 1950.

I replaced the original fixture using a 300 watt incandescent bulb with a 175 watt mercury vapor light about 20 years ago.

The electric co-op guys looked the other way until they had to replace my meter pole a couple years ago. Has not been 'politically correct" to have privately owned wiring and light on the co-op meter pole for some time. So to have a yard light I had to give in and let them put their own light on their own pole.

The only other option would have been to let the co-op guys set the used pole out in the yard and run my wire to a light on it. I did not want an extra pole as just another obstacle in the yard.

So now I have a yardlight 7 nights a week/365 nights per year whether light is necessary or not.

Maybe my math is faulty but these numbers seem high to me. I just did the calculation based on a 100 watt bulb @ $0.10/kilowatt hour and came up with about $3.50/month.

lavacarancher":qo2l0f4s said:
Maybe my math is faulty but these numbers seem high to me. I just did the calculation based on a 100 watt bulb @ $0.10/kilowatt hour and came up with about $3.50/month.

Now you have me curious, what does the formula look like? I've always been interested in how to calculate the cost of certain appliances.

Fly-guy":2fvuzps2 said:
lavacarancher":2fvuzps2 said:

Now you have me curious, what does the formula look like? I've always been interested in how to calculate the cost of certain appliances.

The thing is, lavacarancher is only considering cost of the electricity in his formula. His figures are missing the cost of the light fixture itself, and installation/maintenance/replacement.

In previous times, the other rural electric I deal with used to offer metered and unmetered lights in both mercury vapor and HPS unit. Seems like the metered units were about half the cost of a full time light.

Don't think you can get a light with your own switch either. And mercury vapor has gone the way of the incandescent. Only type of light offered now is HPS.

2 x 200W :shock:, a football stadium for sure. I'm with TB and John250, no lights...unless I need them.

ga.prime":mxm9ejk4 said:
I'm opposed to lights you can't turn off.
Have you ever shot at the moon and stars :p

john250":mqwhnv9m said:
Always figured I was just giving theives light. I know my way around here in the dark a lot better than they do.

This might come in handy in providing specific illumination when needed
The INFORCE® WML HSP is produced by Haley Strategic Partners for tactical low light applications. Running a white light with an upgraded 200 lumens of penetrating light with a tight beam for close- to mid-range applications, also delivers a balanced peripheral light for discernment of the surrounding area.
Used to be a company produced one that strobed also but haven't been able to find one for sale for about a year or two.

You need to see they don't.

Craig Miller":14ft8k2y said:
My great grandma is the only person i had ever heard call em booger lights. Tb is a northerner in hiding i think. As for giving thieves light that maybe but my aunt called papaw and told him when somebody was outside his shop and her house is easily 250 yards

No yank here Craig. Booger Lights is what I've always called them as long as I can remember. Seems everybody has two or three now days. Growing up seems once the sun went down there was little more than pure darkness with a few lights shining through someone's window way down the road. Hard to find a dark place now. We and both neighbors decided to call and have the Co-op turn them off. They're still on the pole but never used. Amazing what you can see when you don't have all that light from other sources messing everything up. Almost feel like you have night vision and as John more or less said "I know where I"m going and I know the way in the dark". ;-) When someone drives up at my house and turns off their lights and get out they can't see shyt.

John SD":1zj8obb2 said:
Fly-guy":1zj8obb2 said:
lavacarancher":1zj8obb2 said:

The thing is, lavacarancher is only considering cost of the electricity in his formula. His figures are missing the cost of the light fixture itself, and installation/maintenance/replacement.

The cost of the electricity is the only thing that I'm interested in. :tiphat:

They are not cheap but this is a 24 hour a day operation and seems to be getting even bigger despite my complaints about slowing down.

We run three of them and our power bill is usually around 500 bucks or more a month - the joys of living in the part of Canada with the most expensive electricity in the country.

Lots of other equipment powered up as well - so I have no clue what the break down is.

Bez

Latest posts