dusk to dawn lights

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,784
Reaction score
289
Location
Heart of Texas
I really don't remember what they cost either. Probably $6-7 a month. Worth it if you need them. I just didn't need or want them.
 

John SD

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
1,584
Reaction score
0
Location
Meade County, South Dakota USA
Fly-guy":2ew76ej1 said:
The cost of the electricity is the only thing that I'm interested in. :tiphat:

Well, that's easy to figure then! ;-)

No cost for lights = No cost for electricity. :lol:

Let's not deceive ourselves here. My point was and is, the light fixture itself is not "free".

You either buy the light yourself and pay the co-op for electricity to run your light.

Or you pay endless rent to the co-op for their light and the cost of electricity.

Judging from the answers in this thread, electricity cost is roughly half of it either regardless of who owns the light.

The main advantage I see of the co-op light is that if it needs fixed, it is their problem. No more getting up to the top of the pole in the loader bucket for me! :banana: :banana: :banana:
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
Ours is located half way between the house and the old milk parlor. We have a waterer at the parlor that has to a have a trickler turned on when the temps get in the 20s. That light sure makes it handy not having to carry a flashlight. Since my wife can get lost in the back yeard it comes in handy for that and also for wacking possums, coon, skunks and dillers in the middle of the night.
 
OP
skyhightree1

skyhightree1

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
20,331
Reaction score
581
Location
Free Rent ,VA
Calman":2t5mhj7d said:
If I wanted a lit up yard with light I'd move to town. :lol:
I want it dark of a night.

Cal

there is dark and there is country dark... My wife is a city girl and not use to country dark so this will help her and will also help me when I grill at night. I thought the light was kind of high but it is what it is.
 

Fly-guy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
649
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
Fly-guy":1a4olm98 said:
John SD":1a4olm98 said:
quote="lavacarancher"]Maybe my math is faulty but these numbers seem high to me. I just did the calculation based on a 100 watt bulb @ $0.10/kilowatt hour and came up with about $3.50/month.

Now you have me curious, what does the formula look like? I've always been interested in how to calculate the cost of certain appliances.

The thing is, lavacarancher is only considering cost of the electricity in his formula. His figures are missing the cost of the light fixture itself, and installation/maintenance/replacement.

The cost of the electricity is the only thing that I'm interested in.



I guess I didn't make my question perfectly clear. My question was and still is, how can a person figure out what a given appliance cost per hour to operate. I can figure out how much gas it took to go into town and buy any given electrical appliance, I can figure out how much the appliance cost and heaven forbid if I have to hire someone to come out to hook it up for me I can simply look at their bill. All I want to know is how much does it cost per hour to run the dang thing. :tiphat:
 

lovehammer

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 13, 2013
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Location
Seguin, TX
Fly-guy":2eu56t0f said:
Fly-guy":2eu56t0f said:
John SD":2eu56t0f said:
quote="lavacarancher"]Maybe my math is faulty but these numbers seem high to me. I just did the calculation based on a 100 watt bulb @ $0.10/kilowatt hour and came up with about $3.50/month.

Now you have me curious, what does the formula look like? I've always been interested in how to calculate the cost of certain appliances.

The thing is, lavacarancher is only considering cost of the electricity in his formula. His figures are missing the cost of the light fixture itself, and installation/maintenance/replacement.

The cost of the electricity is the only thing that I'm interested in.



I guess I didn't make my question perfectly clear. My question was and still is, how can a person figure out what a given appliance cost per hour to operate. I can figure out how much gas it took to go into town and buy any given electrical appliance, I can figure out how much the appliance cost and heaven forbid if I have to hire someone to come out to hook it up for me I can simply look at their bill. All I want to know is how much does it cost per hour to run the dang thing. :tiphat:

If you know the watts of the device:
Total up the watts per day for the item to get total watts/day. Divide total watts/day by 1000 to get the total kilowatt hours (Kwh) per day. Multiply the Kwh/day times the cost per Kwh* to get cost/day.

So 100W bulb on for 12hrs a day would be 1200W per day
Divide by 1000 to get kWh which is 1.2kWh
Since electric company bills in kWh, and let's say it's $.10 a kWh where we are, then we have $.12 a day to run the light and multiply this by 30 to get the monthly cost of $3.60

If you know amps and volts then you multiply those two to get watts. A 15amp 120Vac device would be 1800watts.

Hope that helps.
 

CottageFarm

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 11, 2011
Messages
1,965
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
This is a simplified formula, but it will get you real close....

a kilowatt is 1000 watts
if you have a 100 watt bulb running 12 hours day, it's using 1200 watts/day = 1.2 kw x $.10/kw hour =.12/day to operate

appliances will give you either wattage or amperage....
6 amp refrigerator running on 110 v .....6 x 110 = 660 watts
running for 5 hours/day (this is a guess, I've never timed how much one runs in a day)
5 x 660 = 3300 watts = 3.3 kw hours x $.10 /kw hour = $.33 / day x 30 days = $9.90 / month

Hope this helps :tiphat:
 

Fly-guy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
649
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
CottageFarm":18r39iu0 said:
This is a simplified formula, but it will get you real close....

a kilowatt is 1000 watts
if you have a 100 watt bulb running 12 hours day, it's using 1200 watts/day = 1.2 kw x $.10/kw hour =.12/day to operate

appliances will give you either wattage or amperage....
6 amp refrigerator running on 110 v .....6 x 110 = 660 watts
running for 5 hours/day (this is a guess, I've never timed how much one runs in a day)
5 x 660 = 3300 watts = 3.3 kw hours x $.10 /kw hour = $.33 / day x 30 days = $9.90 / month

Hope this helps :tiphat:

Thanks, I will try it out when I can find a few spare minute. :clap:
 

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
20,732
Reaction score
1,744
Location
Cleveland Tx
I've never much liked the dusk till dawn security light thing. Thieves and other criminals don't usually just suddenly go to a residence--they "case the joint" several times beforehand. I refer to those kind of lights as "false security" lights. They might make you feel more secure, but them being on 24/7/365 don't do much to deter a thief. A good 24/7 dog or 24/7 Mossberg is a lot better imo, in conjunction with motion detectors and cams.
 
OP
skyhightree1

skyhightree1

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
20,331
Reaction score
581
Location
Free Rent ,VA
greybeard":3gz5kx6k said:
I've never much liked the dusk till dawn security light thing. Thieves and other criminals don't usually just suddenly go to a residence--they "case the joint" several times beforehand. I refer to those kind of lights as "false security" lights. They might make you feel more secure, but them being on 24/7/365 don't do much to deter a thief. A good 24/7 dog or 24/7 Mossberg is a lot better imo, in conjunction with motion detectors and cams.

Yea, I have tons of dogs guns and proximity sensors door window sensors and cameras on front and back of my house. If someones there with 35 working dogs behind the house 2 in the house and all this high tech alarm system I got. I called and told the power company I just wanted 1 light and that will be in the back yard. I didn't want a bright light in the front next to my bedroom so I will put the motion sensing lights up there.
 

D2Cat

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 12, 2012
Messages
1,722
Reaction score
1,143
Location
50 miles south of Kansas City
Sky, here's an idea that might eliminate the dogs in the trash, it worked for me.

Took a metal oil drain pan and drilled a couple of 1/8" holes just under the top lip. Sanded the metal real good to get a good connection. Made three dowels from an old broom handle, cutting them at about 10" long. Drove the dowels in the ground in a triangle formation so you can set the metal pan on them securely. Mowed the grass real short and hosed the ground for a good soaking. Hook wire through holes in metal pan and tighten bare wire snugly and run wire to nearby fence charger. Made a tasty treat of pieces of hot dog and some gravy and put in pan.

Activate the charger and when the dog gets his nose in the gravy you'll hear him yelp all the way home, never to stick his nose in your trash again!
 
OP
skyhightree1

skyhightree1

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
20,331
Reaction score
581
Location
Free Rent ,VA
D2Cat":pdziaf5k said:
Sky, here's an idea that might eliminate the dogs in the trash, it worked for me.

Took a metal oil drain pan and drilled a couple of 1/8" holes just under the top lip. Sanded the metal real good to get a good connection. Made three dowels from an old broom handle, cutting them at about 10" long. Drove the dowels in the ground in a triangle formation so you can set the metal pan on them securely. Mowed the grass real short and hosed the ground for a good soaking. Hook wire through holes in metal pan and tighten bare wire snugly and run wire to nearby fence charger. Made a tasty treat of pieces of hot dog and some gravy and put in pan.

Activate the charger and when the dog gets his nose in the gravy you'll hear him yelp all the way home, never to stick his nose in your trash again!

Great idea I like it. :tiphat:
 

Fly-guy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
649
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
ibetyamissedme":2c0yto64 said:
ga.prime":2c0yto64 said:
I'm opposed to lights you can't turn off.
bb gun?

BB gun?, probably not big enough to make a big impression. Every now and then I have to reinforce our neighbors dogs memory that they aren't welcomed around here. Just the mere sounded a shot over the "bow" works wonders.
 

ibetyamissedme

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 28, 2013
Messages
418
Reaction score
0
Location
Minnesotas number 1 hog producing county.
Fly-guy":1e36sxaf said:
ibetyamissedme":1e36sxaf said:
ga.prime":1e36sxaf said:
I'm opposed to lights you can't turn off.
bb gun?

BB gun?, probably not big enough to make a big impression. Every now and then I have to reinforce our neighbors dogs memory that they aren't welcomed around here. Just the mere sounded a shot over the "bow" works wonders.
I'm not sure sounding a shot over the bow of the light would be enough. Shooting the light directly with the BB gun still seems to be in my mind the best course of action for turning of a light without a switch.
 

lavacarancher

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
1,960
Reaction score
0
Location
Lavaca county, Texas
Sorry, Fly Guy for not getting back to you sooner but a couple of folks have answered your question about calculating the cost (electricity) alone - and they are right. Sometimes I let the word "assume" get in my way (assume: A$$-U-ME). I assumed you would be buying the light fixture and installing it yourself. I usually don't figure in the cost of my time nor do I figure the cost of, in this case, wire or screws or breakers or anything else needed to make the installation. I assumed (there's that word again) that you wanted to know the cost of operating the light and that's what I gave you.

While on the subject, some others mentioned HPS (High Pressure Sodium) lamps as being the only thing available and they are also right. I was able to find mercury vapor fixtures right after the law changed and bought several fixtures because I don't like the color of the HPS. But I like the night lights. It lets me see an intruder better so I can aim better ;-) .
 

herofan

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2011
Messages
2,690
Reaction score
405
Location
Kentucky
I'm curious, is the purpose of the lights just for a feeling of security. I've never had one and never felt the need for one. I admit, it would be handy to have a light if I wanted to outside at night, but i wouldn't want it on all the time.
 

Latest posts

Top