Durham Red bull. Give me opinions please

Help Support CattleToday:

By the way the bull is 18 months old in these videos. never seen full feed. Grass only in summer and about 5-8 lbs corn/bean meal per day this winter.

I'm certainly no pro at judging cattle but he diffently has nice thickness. Are you using him as a herd bull? jw

Not at the moment. he was suppose to sell at the Ohio beef expo but my partner got the paperwork lost somehow(don't get me started on that!) Anyhow he is for sale right now. Never got him ultrasounded but his sire and dam both had very good IMF and ribeye scores. I will prolly show him at the Ohio State far this summer unless I get him sold before that. He was 89 lbs at birth and weaned with no creep at 610 off first calf heifer. he weighed 1233 at 12/half months. Thanks for the compliment baldie maker!

trevorgreycattleco":ugnuva6m said:
Only one comment so far is bumming me out folks. I am beggining to think nobody likes him or me.

Don't be bummed out. You could be getting all kinds of comments and not what you want to hear.

I like your bull a lot.

Be careful what you wish for ;-)

Looks like a good, stout bull to me. I bet he'll sire some nice calves. You should be proud of him. Congratulations.

Trevor - bull looks really good. Lots of volume, thickness & nuts. Is he quite a bit older than the other bulls?
I especially like your red healer (although I am partial to blue's). He sure listens well. They can be pretty hard-headed!

From the ASA website:

The Durham Red breed composition will consist of no less than 25 percent and up to 75 percent Shorthorn blood with the remainder coming from Red Angus. The parents must be registered with the American Shorthorn Association or the Red Angus Association of America. The program does not allow for blood from a third breed or of unknown breed composition. Breeders can strive for either more Shorthorn parentage or more Red Angus parentage utilizing a multitude of crossbreeding strategies to optimize characteristics from either breed.

And then there's this:

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/d/durham.htm

Thanks everyone! :banana: Feels like I am on the right track! If it were not for the durham red program i probably would be out of the shorthorn buisness. Few years back I called the Shorthorn assoc. and asked for a list of proven bulls that would be considered "curve benders". To my shock the answer was they don't exsist. So I decided to try and breed the first lol! I have only used high acc. red and black angus to start and the cross is working great for me. ASA claims its the first Registered English x English herdbook. Jeanne those other bulls will be yearlings in April and the little fella was born in Sept. 09. The big bull was born sept 08. His sire was a red angus /shorthorn and his dam was pure shorthorn. And of course i gotta have a red heeler with all these red cows lol! Thanks again everyone! made this little wanna be breeder feel good!

I have been told by several breeders and by registration services that the Shorthorn Assoc. that the Durham Red breed is being phased out. They are just going to call them Shorthorn Pluses. Fo this reason, we are probably going to stop raising them.

Here's an old pic of our blue heeler (he was 8 in pic - he's 14 now, still going strong but almost totally deaf. The other is my Miniture Schnauzer as a pup (5 yrs old now).
Razz__Stetson.jpg

Latest posts