duramax wont start

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
Driven home from the farm I stopped at tractor supply to buy a few things and when I tried to start the truck it would not start. Plenty of battery, it turned over fine . raised the hood and manually pumped the fuel filter pump, started then died , tried again and then it started. I have 99, 368 miles on a 2006 duramax 250. Any chevy mechanics, I could use your advise, also what is the warranty on the injectors. I can call shop tomorrow, but would like trouble shoot myself.

I said fuel pump because if it runs after manually pumping fuel there is a Pressure supply side problem. Question is why. Clogged filter couldn't be fixed by manual pumping.

papavillars":37d2994k said:
Slick, i hope so. Do you know the Stepans there in farmersville.

Sorry, but I don't remember that name.

I heard a few of my friends says that a clogged fuel filter can sometime allow you to run a minute or so and then shut you down. I'm no mechanic, so I don't pretend to know for sure and it's never happened to me. Just hope that would be the problem because it would be a lot less expensive.

Bet you need injectors. You have to much fuel return on one or more so it cant build pressure to 5000 lbs to start. You can try the filter and it is possible but I am betting injector. Dont skimp on just one put at least the whole side in.

Fuel pump. I don't know alot about the newer chevy trucks but on my 98 when the fuel pump is running before you turn the key you can hear it buzz in the tank. Also if you were to get a diagnostic computer for a couple hundred bucks it should let you know if there is a surge or a short in the system causing it, also for sensors or anything. If you do any of your own work I highly recommend these, Two trips to the dealership to get them to do it will cost you more then the computer itself. I got mine at Canadian tire and charge $20 to plug it into someone else's vehicle. I've almost made my money back on it.

Dont mean to be a pessimist here.. but Duramax leaves a bad taste in my mouth.. had nothing but trouble with the 02 that i had.. got rid of it .. went to a Dodge.. should have done it a LONG time ago...

not saying it aint,, but we dont replace alot of injectors on the later models... what about the water in fuel sensor under the fuel filter..?? their bad to rust out

I'd change the filter first. It could also be a cracked housing where the filter screws in letting air into the system after you prime it.

If you are at all mechanically inclined and have tools do yourself a favor and go to http://www.alldatadiy.com pay for the subscription for your vehicle it's relatively cheap, pays for it's self if it saves you one trip to a mechanic. There are troubleshooting and diagnotic test to pinpoint your problem,or you can just start throwing parts at it and hope you get lucky! There are too many variables to say for sure what it is without some sort or dianostics.

Crazy Farmgirl":2o2c0mkn said:
If you are at all mechanically inclined and have tools do yourself a favor and go to http://www.alldatadiy.com pay for the subscription for your vehicle it's relatively cheap, pays for it's self if it saves you one trip to a mechanic. There are troubleshooting and diagnotic test to pinpoint your problem,or you can just start throwing parts at it and hope you get lucky! There are too many variables to say for sure what it is without some sort or dianostics.
Crazy FG.. You sure your not my wife in disguise??? :lol:

Limomike":2aytkdmy said:
Crazy Farmgirl":2aytkdmy said:
Crazy FG.. You sure your not my wife in disguise??? :lol:

Your wife must be a smart one!! :mrgreen:

Found a long time ago it's better to get some solid info before tearing into any of the newer vehicles. Too much computerized crap on them to try and guess what's wrong. Saves alot time, money and headaches!!

Yep.. its why I married her.. because she is so smart she can tell me what to do all the time....LOL

Of course I started with a new filter, no help. Called the dealer where I bought it and they said seeing how I bought it there they would check it out for free. Sounded fair to me. I happened to talk to my nephew ( who owns a shop) he said it is probably the pump mechanism on top of the fuel filter. Noth of his tow trucks had the same problem. The paart costs over five hundred dollars. He called the local chevy dealer Graff chevrolet in Grand Prairie, and they said they would replace it because they are sure there is going to be a recall on this part. i had to pay a $100.00 deductible but seems to run fine now. thanks for all the info.

I apologize for all the misspelled words in the last post. i was typing in the dark due to a storm. As stated the pump on top of the fuel filter failed. Seems it is a problem at about 100,000 miles. thanks again

Latest posts