Duramax Shocks

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
130k+ and they are feeling a little mushy. I only haul with a couple of 16' bumper pulls and have no plans for anything larger. Anyone have suggestions?

Duramax designates that it's at least a 3/4 ton diesel truck. A lot heavier in the front end, which I believe requires a different front shock than a 1/2 ton gas truck. I've look at the Bilstein but never used them. I appreciate the suggestions.

slick4591":3seqcrh5 said:
130k+ and they are feeling a little mushy. I only haul with a couple of 16' bumper pulls and have no plans for anything larger. Anyone have suggestions?
Mine has 112,000 and the shocks are shot. If I don't trade I'll replace them. Don't know with what.
Course all this info doesn't help your question other than to know the factory ones don't last.

I have KYB in my truck, and last I checked they were still fine, and were on the truck when I got it.. On these roads that's pretty impressive.. The Monroe rear shocks didn't last a year.. probably didn't last 3 months but didn't notice, I have Rancho 5000's in it now just because that's what was readily available

slick4591":1m2jsajt said:
Monroe used to be one of the top, but I hearing they are pretty much crap now. Thanks.
I should add that Monroe makes Rancho.. so I don't have great hopes for these ones either, but I'm hoping that their "premium" line would be a little better

I'd almost bet that it's been better than 30 years since I bought shocks for a vehicle. Seemed like I always traded before they needed them. Last truck I had was a 1/2 ton Silverado with 110,000 and they were still good. Before that I drove a Jeep Cherokee that the shocks felt like new ones the day I traded it.

Bilsteins 5100 series are the only shocks I have found to give the best ride. Anything else the front end would bounce and even worse towing.

slick4591":4z1nv83d said:
Duramax designates that it's at least a 3/4 ton diesel truck. A lot heavier in the front end, which I believe requires a different front shock than a 1/2 ton gas truck. I've look at the Bilstein but never used them. I appreciate the suggestions.
what brand was on it from the factory? I thought they came with BIlstein...

ALACOWMAN":dn5anplg said:
slick4591":dn5anplg said:

I have no idea. They are way to dirty to read and I never look under there unless there's a problem.

ALACOWMAN":2ir7zhz1 said:
slick4591":2ir7zhz1 said:

They use to. Not sure if they still do on the new trucks. Pretty sure they told me Rancho now.

slick4591":bl4u6n7o said:
I'd almost bet that it's been better than 30 years since I bought shocks for a vehicle. Seemed like I always traded before they needed them. Last truck I had was a 1/2 ton Silverado with 110,000 and they were still good. Before that I drove a Jeep Cherokee that the shocks felt like new ones the day I traded it.
I usually trade every two years but last fall it was going to cost to much so I kept mine. I bet I spend every dime in repairs I would have spent trading. Or more I bet.

jedstivers":1nqsot2o said:
slick4591":1nqsot2o said:
I usually trade every two years but last fall it was going to cost to much so I kept mine. I bet I spend every dime in repairs I would have spent trading. Or more I bet.

Seems like most folks that don't drive Ram - Dodge trucks have to trade or drive junk after a few years. A GM truck with a Duramax is not a long term farm and ranch work truck. When a GM truck is new it's the best riding most comfortable truck on the market. The maintenance that our GM Duramax requires to keep it going on "True Grit Farms" is terrible, but compared to spending $55k for a new truck it's still cheap.

Latest posts