Duramax Diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
I have a duramax diesel and have oil getting into my coolant. I am assuming this is a very bad problem. Does anyone know what might cause this on a diesel engine. 200,000 miles on the engine.

popped a head gaskt overhtg it. alum block duramax esp the early ones are prone to this..200k is good. gonna be costly repair...5-6000$ probly.

Does the Duramax have an oil cooler or transmisson cooler in the radiator? Some other engine do but i never dealt t with the Duramax but its worth checking the radiator to see if any oil lines are going to it.

I suspected a blown head gasket, but I was hoping diesel's had another possibility. $6,000 Ouch. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

terra8186,

Sorry,
You have a blown headgasket or a cracked head. We have owned a repair shop for almost 18 years now and my advise would be to get a Jasper. Jasper has a three year, 100,000. warranty and it is all over the USA. They also have new updates(if the manufacturer has made them) installed in the engines and transmissions they sell you .
So, if you have trouble with your Jasper they can direct you to a repair shop where ever you are and get you fixed. They have ALOT of approved shops all over the US.
If you don't care about putting to much money into it because of age, etc. Then you could possibily find a used engine with maybe six months parts warranty for half the price of a Jasper. But it is a risk. Rebuilt engines from a local source( machine shop) is almost a dying art. Engines can be purchased with warranties for almost the same price.
Good luck. You have some thinking to do.

my advise would be to get a Jasper.

I didn't know this was an option for a Duramax diesel engine. I thought the only place that would work on it was a chevy dealer. Thanks for the information.

terra8186":f0xz4t9n said:
my advise would be to get a Jasper.

I didn't know this was an option for a Duramax diesel engine. I thought the only place that would work on it was a chevy dealer. Thanks for the information.

Most any good shop will work on them. As to Jasper engines, they do make a good product. My brother is an reseller for them too. He loves them.

terra8186":2pf8suzb said:
I have a duramax diesel and have oil getting into my coolant. I am assuming this is a very bad problem. Does anyone know what might cause this on a diesel engine. 200,000 miles on the engine.
If you are getting oil in the coolant it is likely you are getting coolant in the oil as well. This is a very bad problem as coolant will take bearings out in a hurry. We've had instances where simply replacing the oil cooler solved the problem. Not sure if or where the oil cooler is on a Duramax. Blown head gasket is a possibility but I would rule out everything else before ripping the engine apart. Are you pushing coolant out the overflow? In my experience a blown head gasket will create added pressure in the radiator and blow coolant out.

Are you pushing coolant out the overflow? In my experience a blown head gasket will create added pressure in the radiator and blow coolant out.

I am not pushing coolant out the overflow. The truck also runs great.

Another thought, normally if you have a blown head gasket or a cracked head, you will have water in the oil. Is your oil cloudy?

If I remeber corectly the duramax had problems with the head bolts stretching and letting the head gaskets fail
The best advice I can give you is take it to a reputable shop that works on them and have them figure it out all of us here can give our opinions but that is all we can do

I second Angus Cowman. You need to find someone you can trust, and it DOES NOT have to be the dealer, to look into this for you. You can find reliable auto repair shops that work on diesel's via AAA or ask your friends who have diesels who there mechanics are.

If the truck is an automatic with the trans cooler in the radiator that could be where the oil is coming from.

Ken

Latest posts