Duracor??

Help Support CattleToday:

Used Grazonext last year with decent results, Goatweed/croton came back pretty strong. About to spray Grazon once more, if results on goatweed aren't any better will be giving Duracor a try next.

I normally mix 4 gallons of Next in each 500 gallons of water, and cover from 20 to 30 acres per tank. Is Duracor mixed similarly to Next?

I had a contract sprayer come in and do the big areas for me with his boom truck. I'm working the tight areas and fence lines with the boomless sprayer. He had Duracor + Patriot and I have Grazon Next HL.

The verdict is still out for me.

The contract guy added Patriot for the woody plants that I know I can kill with 2pts GNHL all day long so that is kind of a mark against it already. It will be at least fall before I see green up on the woodies to judge. Just on the weeds it has done its job so far.

I normally mix 4 gallons of Next in each 500 gallons of water, and cover from 20 to 30 acres per tank. Is Duracor mixed similarly to Next?
GrazonNext rate is 19 to 34 oz per acre. Duracor rate is 12 to 20 oz per acre. Rates dependent on type and size of weeds. Use a proper non-ionic surfactant for good results. Apply in enough water to wet the plants without runoff. I shoot for around 20 to 25 gallons per acre.

Bad infestations of Croton will take many years of spraying to even think about some kind of control. There is just to many seeds in the seed bank. It is also a plant that will grow from the seed all summer so its not surprising for it to come back if you spray early and the residual starts to wear off. Its a very prolific weed that puts out a lot of seed. Thats why the dove like it.

The good thing about it, when its young it kills easily as Brute mentioned. I don't lnow of any herbicide that won't kill it if its growing and healthy. If its large, use a lot of water and add some extra surfactant. If you have a bad infestation it will benefit you to spray twice. Once when it just starts to come up and then again about the first of July.

There are a lot of factors when spraying. It's not just a cut and dry deal. People dont look at all the variables that effected the job. If the croton is so thick the chemical didnt touch the ground... you probably won't have much of a residual effect. You may need two applications like mentioned above. If it's real dry it wont kill as well. If it's real thick and your gpa is low, less than 10, which some of those little sprayers are that you buy from tsc and places, it's going to be tough.

One that gets me is application rate. You have the option of 1-2pts per ac. 1pt is for very, very light weed control. 1.5 is decent and may get some this year woody plants. 2pts gets it all and will give you a lot better odds of keeping it gone.

The difference in 1.5pts and 2 pts is 12$ vs 15$ per acre. If your spraying 2,000 acres we can talk about the value. If you are spraying less than 100ac, spray the 2pts and go on.

Lastly, none of it is a silver bullet. None of it is a one time treatment.

Small weeds have small root systems and small energy reserves. And growing well since they recently germinated. They are generally easy to kill. Weeds that are waist high with large root systems storing energy reserves in mid summer when their growth has slowed will be a challenge. Generally spray when weeds are younger/smaller to allow use of lower rates (lower costs) and usually better results. If you have multiple weed types, taller weeds may be providing a canopy over smaller varieties and protecting them from the herbicide. You may have some weeds that germinate in the fall and explode in the spring. Spraying those in the fall may be an option. Doesn't hurt to read the label occasionally to be sure you are using the herbicide correctly and at the best rates.

I had a contract sprayer come in and do the big areas for me with his boom truck. I'm working the tight areas and fence lines with the boomless sprayer. He had Duracor + Patriot and I have Grazon Next HL.

The verdict is still out for me.

The contract guy added Patriot for the woody plants that I know I can kill with 2pts GNHL all day long so that is kind of a mark against it already. It will be at least fall before I see green up on the woodies to judge. Just on the weeds it has done its job so far.
I haven't tried Duracor yet. We've used msm with 2,4-d and have had excellent results on nightshade,etc. I'm curious to hear what you think of the Duracor.

I hate dove weed almost as bad as grassbur.

I haven't tried Duracor yet. We've used msm with 2,4-d and have had excellent results on nightshade,etc. I'm curious to hear what you think of the Duracor.

I hate dove weed almost as bad as grassbur.
Both of those are tough because they have a really tight window to spray and maximize your results. Dove weed can be 4" tall and if you are getting rain its dang near too big by the time it dries out enough to get in and spray.😄

They are both easy to kills but it's all about the timing.

What aggravates me is I have most the dove weed killed out. If I dont spray one year the only dove weed will be where the hogs tore it up. Just them disturbing the ground and setting the grass back will jump start the dove weed right in those spots.

Used duracor in early August on a very weedy new stand, primarily marestail and thistle but also velvet leaf, cocklebur, jemson and horsenettle. It took about 10 days for it to kick in and has done very well, particularly with those nasty well established thistles with deep roots - and thats at a non-optimal time for them. However it had no effect on mustard and turnips. Got a pretty and pure stand this year.

Last edited:
I'm new to spraying but I just spot sprayed Duracor on thistle and it's doing well. I only have a 25 Gal sprayer and I mixed 12 1/2 once per tank. It goes a long way.

However it had no effect on mustard and turnips.
Same results here, not real impressed with Duracor.

I sprayed a field with a buttload of mustard on March 25 with Grazon Next but it was fairly windy. Went back on April 3 with 2,4d and hit what the drift missed. Mid March would have been better, but finding a day in March with wind calm enough to spray is a gamble at best around here.