Durable yet affordable winter work gloves

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I meant to ask this last year :)

Down under we are just coming up for winter, it is not near freezing yet, but I just spent 15 mins getting the feeling back in my fingers, it is about 5c outside, but feels like zero and it wet and dark.....

Anyways, I find I wear a pair of leather gloves out every 2 weeks or so, I stopped buying the 20 to 30 dollar pairs as it is too expensive, so I buy the really cheap nasty 2 dollar gloves, they have cotton at cuff but are mainly a poor fitting leather, but they last the same as the much more expensive options. A pretty tough leather.

The above cheap ones are used most, when on tractor, changing implements, working wire, feed, shoveling, loading and unloading truck..etc, I use another glove for sorting feeds and wet items like fruit and veg, they are basically a thick flexible rubber with cotton, good for keeping hands dry and also able to do fine things similar to when no glove, they are also ok in colder weather for feed sorting and very light work, if you accidentally wet the end where it is cotton, it is all over as it wicks inside and soon hands are cold.

The other leather glove, well, similar, when cold and moisture or rain, it soaks up the water and not long after everything will start to get cold and numb, and also slippery.

So, what do you have or use that is affordable & durable that stops your hands from getting wet and freezing up ? The outside must be fairly rugged, or maybe they can be used with the cheap leather ones on top ?

I cannot imagine those in higher ares of US or Canada etc being able to do what I do, with the temps in some places, you would lose fingers, or, do you just accept changing them often and warming hands as reqd...not very productive to stop all the time.

Maybe I need to look for a certain thin type of glove I can get locally or at reasonable price from OS that can be used under the other gloves....

If it's not too cold, I find these work nice, waterproof, and the cuff makes it so you don't fill the fingers with hay.. if you have to be out a long time at under -10C you will still probably get cold
http://www.watsongloves.com/products/9392-stealth-cold-war/

I live in the north central US. I use cheap winter gloves, but I wear nitrile/rubber gloves under the winter gloves. I know with the pandemic PPE is in short supply (I rationed all spring). But I have found these to be finger savers. They may take 15 min or so until your hands feel warm, but once they do its very nice.

I bought hubby Cabela's Gore Tex. They're a little bulky but sturdy & warm. I actually like the Red Head Bone Dry because they're thinner - I do most of the "manual labor" and need to move my fingers - but my hands never get wet and they're relatively warm (I order a men's small). That said, they aren't sturdy so I have literally 10 pairs of cheap Huntsworth gloves from Walmart that I wash-n-wear and they're actually warmer than a lot of the expensive brands.

https://www.qcsupply.com/single-side-pvcdot-knit-gloves.html?size=43&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-fzTmr336QIVBOiGCh1TxgWeEAQYASABEgJAffD_BwE
Been running these for years, when pair gets wet or dirty I throw em in washing machine. 3 of us here at work may go thru a dozen pair a winter. Soon as they get a hole in them I toss them.
When it's really bad out I too as others said put milking glove (nitrile or latex) on first. I even wear them deer hunting when it's 0 out.

sstterry said:
Aaron said:
Really like the Big Dawg's for the fact they come in 3XL and can slip on fast.

:shock: :shock: :shock: How big are your hands??

Big enough that 2XL is a snug fit at times, depending on the glove. Matches the size 14 boot. Sometimes squeeze into a 13 if built right. Relatively wide in the shoulders, but a few inches short of Grandpa, who was 36" across the shoulders.

I wear Kinco Frost Breakers down to about 20 F. Colder than that I wear Kinco insulated. I seem to wear out one pair of the insulated and two pairs of the frost breakers in a winter. For some reason I wear out the right thumb first. If someone has a use for some slightly used left hand gloves I have several laying around.

Thanks for the Watson gloves recommendation and link Nesi. I've been on the west coast all my life and the biggest challenge is finding gloves that repel water. Once your hands get wet your goose is cooked.

I have a pair of carhartt (style A511) from tractor supply (~$20). They're water proof. As in I can dunk my hand in the water trough on a day the ice has to be broken up and not feel it.

We also wear rubber gloves (like the harbor freight latex gloves) under our gloves when it's cold. Helps with insulation.

I'm pretty partial to the blue nitrile/fleece Hardy gloves from harbor freight. Can't beat them for $2.99. They aren't the warmest, but still offer some dexterity.

Look for oil field gloves. Not cheap, but warmer than others and they will last. Ironclad gloves are what I wear.

These are what I use https://www.ironclad.com/glove/tundra

Latest posts