Durable Hay Rack Tires ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have always used pick up tires on hay racks. I am currently buying mounted Load range Es with tubes for $45, but there are some older 4 and 6 ply rated tires still out there.

Recently started making more baleage and tried increasing tire pressure from 50 to 70 psi. This seemed to reduce slow leaks but increase delaminations. Any tips here?

When would you considering paying up for implement tires?

My hay racks that I haul rnd bales on have 11L 15 8ply tires. 1,500lb rnd bales, 6 to a rack. No problems. There probably around $120 range, but I haven't had to buy any for a couple years so they may be higher.
I'd love to switch to used air plane tires. I think there something like 20ply. Have some on a liquid manure spreader that are 50 ply.

We just run E rated trailer tires. Our inline trailers will hold 8 4ft wide bales, dry are around 1200 lbs, silage bales are around a ton a piece. Run them at max PSI and don't have a whole lot of trouble. They're about $100 each.

You can get G rated 14 ply tires, but the added cost is not really worth it for us.

Idk where you'd find airplane tires anymore.
Nothing wrong with a 14 ply trailer tire tho, depending on size, some foreign made tires are very good on quality. And they won't break the bank. Dang sure won't 45 bucks tho!! But how many time ya wanna change the darn things when ya got a load of hay on the side of the road?
Is this a double axle trailer?
Single row? Or double row?
What size tire?

I'm not sure where you would go to get airplane tires. Our local farm Co-op (Gold Star FS) tire guys got the spreader tire for us. There is a company in Arkansas I think that advertises air plane tires mounted on either 6 or 8 bolt rims. I'll try and find their website.

Not sure if this is the same place, not in Arkansas. Says they ship anywhere. https://genscotire.com/implement.html

We make short hay hauls using multiple 7 to 10 ton four wheel farm wagons.
The most common repurposed tire is a 245-75x16 8 ply rated off of a pick up truck.

I'd be looking for some 14 ply trailer tires myself.
They will haul a load without problems. That's what they are designed to do.

If you are running repurposed (used) 8 ply tires I can only imagine how many problems your having. An 8 ply tire probly doesnt hold up very well under the conditions u want them to perform in.

Tires are one of those things no one WANTS to buy. They're just tires right? I prefer to put the best I can afford on, and not have to deal with goofy lil tire problems when I'm trying to get things done. Not sure why you are running tubes? Tubes are a pain in the butt and dont really increase load carrying capacity. They also will lose all air fast if punctured. A tubeless tire tends to leak much slower when punctured, especially if the puncturing objects (nail, screw etc) stays in the tire.

235/80 16 in a 14 ply should work well. Long as height isnt a problem. They will be slightly taller than your 245/75. Get them suckers up about 110psi and git er dun!

Wagons and chopper boxes and gravity boxes have gotten much cheaper here. The smaller operators are retiring and the BTOs are using semis.

I like getting a lot of use out of my new 20V impact, but will still look around for unwanted wagons that cost less than 4 implement tires.

I'm running 16 ply tires on my in-line hay trailer and my stock trailer. Has completely eliminated blow outs and broken belts for the last several years. Hard to swallow the costs (about $175/ea) but down time costs more.

We use cement truck tires. Pick them up at the local shop when they change them for new ones on their trucks. Not a lot of tread on them but tons of ply and they work well.
Our wagons are 30 foot long and we carry 22 - 5 foot diameter round bales on them.
The tires are cheap because they are no longer useable for commercial operations but they sure do a great job on hay wagons.
Best to all,
Bez

What you call a hay rack we call wagon in the south. I used to put used truck tires on them just got tired of fighting it. A few still have truck tires but as we have blow outs and just wore out replacing with 10 ply implement some off brand buy local 100 bucks a round. Keep spare on truck and air compressor. We are using them to haul tobacco not sure weight way to much. Pull smoother empty with truck tires bounce some with implement . Bought 10 or so this season

Looked over my tire and rim collection:
- Have a lot of mounted 8 ply 16" pick up tires. Plan to use them up.
- Have no good 15" tires. Plan to step up and buy 12 ply rated implement tires for $119 each. That is the best wagon tire I could find in this area.

Latest posts