Dung Beetles

Help Support CattleToday:

Flipflopcowgirl

Reaction score
Howdy y'all. We are looking to procure some dung beetles for our small, mob grazed ranch in Decatur, TX. If anyone has any to sell, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

I didn't know anybody sold them. But they do sell lady bugs so I guess somebody might. I thought they just came in by themselves. I guess you could find somebody that had them in there pasture and see if they wouldn't mind you digging a few up.
Here is a link I found.
http://dungbeetles.biz/

I didn't have any dung beetles 4 years ago . I started using less herbicide and dung beetle friendly wormer . NOw they are everywhere .

The link says $50 for 100 beetles. Besides the obvious with the manure what do they do for the land, cattle, etc.? Nobody I know has ever promoted their growth.

They bring the manure into the ground . That helps keep flies down because the flies have fewer places to lay eggs . And the organic matter in the soil will be higher by incorporation of the manure instead of the manure sitting on top of the ground . The less manure pats the less dead grass .

JSCATTLE":167r44us said:
They bring the manure into the ground . That helps keep flies down because the flies have fewer places to lay eggs . And the organic matter in the soil will be higher by incorporation of the manure instead of the manure sitting on top of the ground . The less manure pats the less dead grass .

And they make holes into which rain can infiltrate. They also to a degree make it more difficult for parasites in the dung to infect new hosts.

Bigfoot":3dhxhcsg said:
The link says $50 for 100 beetles. Besides the obvious with the manure what do they do for the land, cattle, etc.? Nobody I know has ever promoted their growth.
dammit! another input cost to add to my sheet :cowboy:

what happens if the stampede and scatter,, how do you round them back up?? or creep under the fence line to the neighbors... and you have to fight to get em back

Might have to treat it like a shared fence ask the neighbor to pay half haha . There might be a market if someone was to raise them . They sell flies that kill flies .

JSCATTLE":11erj1bs said:
Might have to treat it like a shared fence ask the neighbor to pay half haha . There might be a market if someone was to raise them . They sell flies that kill flies .
yep but that wouldnt work with him... none of my neighbors voted Obama :lol:

ALACOWMAN":3fax8va0 said:
Bigfoot":3fax8va0 said:
dammit! another input cost to add to my sheet :cowboy:
Never thought you'd be buying tumble bugs did you? :lol2: