Dung beetles

Help Support CattleToday:

They will just fly in. I got plenty this way. Don't know how many speices there are but it appears I have three different types.

Do you use fly minerals? I did and it killed all my dung beetles. Haven't had any db's for about 3 years now. I don't use fly minerals any more.

I used to see them when I was a kid. I can't say I have seen one for 40 years. Or do you suppose I haven't slowed down and looked?

Please pardon my ignorance, but what are fly minerals? Is that another term for pour-ons (my first guess), or is it something you add to their mineral supplement?

ArmyDoc":djhgb6u4 said:
Please pardon my ignorance, but what are fly minerals? Is that another term for pour-ons (my first guess), or is it something you add to their mineral supplement?
There are minerals available that have a pass through IGR (insect Growth inhibitor) in them. The flys never mature from the larvae stage.

kenny thomas":32svn0rn said:
I believe most of the pour-on wormers kill them. Might check if you are using pour-on.

I was at a meeting a while back and this subject came up. According to the speaker, one certain company accused others of killing the dung beetle and their's didn't. According to him, this was false and the company got in a lot of trouble over this since their chemical was in the same family as the others. According to him, you will not see the company boasting this anymore in their ads. Personally I don't know. What I do know is that I use pour on and injectable and I have a population high enough that once the sound of the splatter subsides the beetles come flying.

i have not see them in years also, I think cotton farming wiped them out. Prehaps the anti-bowweavel program of the goverment did no help..Question again does anyone know were to order them from? All joking aside If you raise cattle it is the fruit of your grass, and them bugs sure can improve your grass.

I'm surrounded by cotton. Got cows on cotton dirt and I still have them so I doubt the bole weevil eradication program had anything to do with the lack of beetles in your area. Before buying them, I'd suggest contacting your extension agent and see if he can't get the state entomologist to give you some idea on what the problem might be. They can fly 10 miles to a pie so something could be wrong. I know they don't do well in dry conditions. There are also three different groups of them. One is a roller, another a dweller and the third is a tunneler. I have mostly the tunnellers. You don't see these often but their signs are evident if you know what to look for.

I was thinking of the rollers I used to see as a kid. I bet I have some of the burrowers or tunnelers.

Bandsaw":lgbd6dbz said:
I was thinking of the rollers I used to see as a kid. I bet I have some of the burrowers or tunnelers.

I got the rollers too but they are hard to find. I see them mostly in the early morning hours. The burrowers are easy enough to tell. Your pies - especially after a shower - will have a lot of little holes in them. Almost look like someone shot it with a shotgun loaded with #2 buckshot. If you kick the top of the pie you can see the holes leading into the soil. If its early, you will see the beetles themselves. Where I have thick grass, I don't see them as easily. Almost would think they are not there.

Latest posts