Dung Beetles

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb":3scxj9gb said:
MikeC":3scxj9gb said:
Not much problem with liver flukes except in Fla. and some other low lying states. It comes from a snail.

Big thing that would worry me about not de-worming would be if the cows were not de-wormed they would be shedding eggs year round to the calves who have no immunity. Once the pasture gets infested, then what?

I had read that flukes were mostly a problem in coastal/swampy areas. That explains it.

I remember reading about a study on worming calves. If I remember right, there was little to no difference between the groups. In fact I think the wormed calves weaned out just a shade lighter on average. Now if I can just dig up that study.

This may be it - http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/dickinso/r ... rass85.htm

It's pretty limited in scope. I wouldn't necessarily interpolate those findings with other wormers.

I'd like to see a study comparing stocking density and parasite load. Better yet, one that factors in forage height. Can anybody post a link?

MikeC":x37n1ir8 said:
Not much problem with liver flukes except in Fla. and some other low lying states. It comes from a snail.

Big thing that would worry me about not de-worming would be if the cows were not de-wormed they would be shedding eggs year round to the calves who have no immunity. Once the pasture gets infested, then what?

i definitely would worm calves... as i remember, we are talking about cows age 2 and up... or so...

dont know about a study, but i have seen people around here that didnt worm their calves and it certainly showed in the calf's looks.

jt

I remember someone posting an article about worming for flukes. Seems someone asked the question if they should be concerned about flukes in an area that gets very little rain, like in Texas. The vet answered the question something like, "If you get a lot of rain and your property floods for several days, then worry about the flukes." It might have been Jerry27150 that posted that one. I can't remember. So many threads head in different directions, I don't know where to look for that one.
I can imagine that someone would have come up with a faster fermintation solution for sileage. I guess pouring a beer on it would work too. People will spend money on anything.

milesvb":y6yr3ms5 said:
jt":y6yr3ms5 said:
milesvb":y6yr3ms5 said:
I only started annually worming the entire herd a couple years ago. Before that we wormed individual cows that lost condition when the rest were doing fine. If I remember right, the cydectin came out to about $3 per head so I figure it's not killing the bottom line. With that said, I really haven't noticed any improvement or changes in the herd. So in the future I may be more judicious in my worming. If a cow is maintaining good condition without it then where's the problem?

the only thing that keeps coming back to me when talking about not worming is... what about liver flukes?

maybe they are not that big of a problem, i dont know, but then again i have always wormed twice a year. i wonder if a resistence is built up again them too??

i still intend on asking my vet about his opinion on all this.

jt

Be sure and let us know what he says.

dont give up on me... it may be a while before i get the chance, but i plan to ask and plan to let you know. this is one that i would rather be face to face when i ask instead of over the phone.

jt

Chuckie":a8yodh3h said:
Seems someone asked the question if they should be concerned about flukes in an area that gets very little rain, like in Texas.

Were they referring to the Trans-Pecos or the eastern Coastal Plain? :lol:

Although we're startin' to feel like west Texas around here. :(

Latest posts