Dung Beetle Friendly Parasite Control

Help Support CattleToday:

brihop

Reaction score
So, I was looking for a flukacide that I could use in tandem with Cydectin (Moxidectin) and found one called Triclabendazole. While doing some web research trying to find out if Triclabendazole had adverse effects on dung beetles, I came across Pfizer's website out of New Zealand which offered "Cydectin Plus", which contained this exact fluke control chemical! They now offer this as a dung beetle friendly dewormer that also controls liver flukes! However, I've never seen "Cydectin Plus" offered here in the U.S., has anyone else??

the regular cydectin is in there, but don't see this new/special "cydectin plus"

brihop,
Do you need a flukicide?
I know liver flukes ARE a problem in some areas of the country/world - and, certainly, if they are in your area, you need one.

But, in 35 years of veterinary practice and diagnostic pathology in AL/TN/MO/KY, I have seen ONE liver fluke(10 yrs ago, in a captive-bred elk) and one bison cow out of SD(20+ yrs ago) that had the classical 'pipestem liver' - fibrosis of bile ducts subsequent to prior fluke infection.
In my area of the the country, there is no reason for any producer to be paying for a dewormer containing an additional drug for fluke control.
YMMV.

No dung beetles in New Zealand, so I've heard. Lots of other beetles. So I doubt any wormer used here can be tested here for its action/nonaction against dung beetles.
If there's a contact form on the website you could use it to ask the manufacturers if they're exporting to the US and if so where/who to.

brihop":1g6mvdv5 said:
So, I was looking for a flukacide that I could use in tandem with Cydectin (Moxidectin) and found one called Triclabendazole. While doing some web research trying to find out if Triclabendazole had adverse effects on dung beetles, I came across Pfizer's website out of New Zealand which offered "Cydectin Plus", which contained this exact fluke control chemical! They now offer this as a dung beetle friendly dewormer that also controls liver flukes! However, I've never seen "Cydectin Plus" offered here in the U.S., has anyone else??

Have you considered Valbazen or Ivormec Plus? These might require a follow-up since they kill just mature liver flukes. Other options for young and adult flukes would include Fasinex, Flukiver and Trodax.