Dun:Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

For the first time I am going to keep some of my heifers for replacements. They were born last sep/oct, and my regular breeding dates are in apr and may(I have just started a regular breeding/calving season). Would it be better to hold these heifers out and breed them next year at 19/20 mos, or would it be better to breed them at 12/15 mos(this fall/calve next summer) and then hold re-breeding until the following apr/may. Which way would be more beneficial for the heifers.

> For the first time I am going to
> keep some of my heifers for
> replacements. They were born last
> sep/oct, and my regular breeding
> dates are in apr and may(I have
> just started a regular
> breeding/calving season). Would it
> be better to hold these heifers
> out and breed them next year at
> 19/20 mos, or would it be better
> to breed them at 12/15 mos(this
> fall/calve next summer) and then
> hold re-breeding until the
> following apr/may. Which way would
> be more beneficial for the
> heifers.

i have the same situation with some heifers. i am going to pull mine away from the bull and hold them till next year. i don't want any summer calves they don't do as well,then breed them for spring calves. i have heard alot of people who have fall and spring calving herds use the heifer from the other season for replacements they are older and bigger and have less trouble calving and breed back quicker the next time.

Just my opinion. Idon't like alving out of season, March-April so I would hold these girls for a couple of extra months as heifers and move them into a regular calving schedule with everyone else.

dun

> i have the same situation with
> some heifers. i am going to pull
> mine away from the bull and hold
> them till next year. i don't want
> any summer calves they don't do as
> well,then breed them for spring
> calves. i have heard alot of
> people who have fall and spring
> calving herds use the heifer from
> the other season for replacements
> they are older and bigger and have