Dun – eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig-TX":i61moabb said:
I see by your latest avatar that you found a clutch of eggs. What kind?

Craig-TX

Turkey. It's awfully late and I'm not sure if they'll even hatch. The youngsters we've seen are anywhere from 2 weeks to a month a half old already.

dun

That's what got me wondering. I suspected turkey but it does seem late. They're not as thick around here as what you describe but the population is doing great. Quail appear to be having another banner year also.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":18os8z1p said:
That's what got me wondering. I suspected turkey but it does seem late. They're not as thick around here as what you describe but the population is doing great. Quail appear to be having another banner year also.

Craig-TX

We only occasionally hear or see quail. Too much fescue. But it's getting better on this farm. Our other place had very few quail when we bought it, by the time we bought this one we had 3 good coveys, and lots of turkeys

dun

MULDOON":1bypfgcn said:
We have a few turkeys. What can I do to get more??

i've seen something advertised on the outdoor life channel called "chupa".
Is that any good??

Never heard of chupa. The only way I know to increase the numbers is to improve the habitat. Get in touch with your local NWTF folks and see what they can recommend.
I just candled one of the eggs from the next. If I remember from my days of raising gamebirds it looks like about a 2-2 1/2 week old embryo, and it's alive.

dun

be careful what you wish for you might get it or in this case them (turkeys) I thought it was cool to see them 5 years ago, now with hundreds hanging around in the winter the mess they make is unreal

Anonymous":2h4nj7j1 said:
be careful what you wish for you might get it or in this case them (turkeys) I thought it was cool to see them 5 years ago, now with hundreds hanging around in the winter the mess they make is unreal

Sure are lots of good eating though

dun

Here where I am I've seen 3 nests this week when cutting hay, unfortunatly the mower conditioner saw them first. I also saw a few newly hatched ones.

Guest,

I'll be a gentleman and offer you free of charge a visit from my professional turkey control office. I'd be happy to help you eliminate that mess.:0

JB

Latest posts