Dump truck to dump trailer. Fun project.

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
At work we had an old tandem dump with about a billion miles on it and a blown motor and various other issues. Boss told me to take the sellable parts off and scrap the rest. I said how about making a dump trailer we could pull with a tractor or dozer. He said no. A few days later he said good idea. It has been a fun project for me, I have been working at it in the evenings after completing my daily duties. Here's some pictures.

You've got a lot of talent to pull of a project like that. Plus I like the thought of it.

Just got it pulled inside (pushed actually) this afternoon and hoping to get it close to finished this weekend.

Thanks bigfoot. I don't know about the talent part but I do know that I really enjoy this kind of work and I hope it is a worthwhile project. I really think it will be.

OS - I too get would giddy with a project like this. I love to build things. The smell of acetylene smells good to me.

I made some progress on Saturday. I'm getting kinda old and am starting to learn from my mistakes so I'm going to give some tips to any young hillbilly fabricators out there who might be reading this.
Take measurements and keep things as square as possible. However crude it might be, use a tape measure and t-square and string lines.

Making a template from a piece of paper or cardboard will eliminate guesswork on how to make your cuts

when making a notch, always leave the pointy part of the triangle a little big, otherwise it will cause a bind when you bend it and cause you problems.

Here the frame is bent close to where I want it but I will not weld it at all until the front of the hitch is connected, this will allow everything to flex a little and make the process go much smoother.

I am using this old dozer hitch but I had to do some surgery on it first.

Here it is all tacked together ready for a test pull.

This 4020 pulled it ok empty (except for the empty beer cans), but a bigger tractor will be needed when it is loaded down.

Looking good. That old Oliver caught my eye the other day, but I fought the urge to comment on it. I've seen a few old farmalls painted black, and really liked it. That Oliver is unique. I'm guessing its a pulling tractor?

Bigfoot, that old Oliver is a special edition for sure! It was mine and was 90% restored and I took it to my bosses for a hay ride and he said he had to have it. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse and then he had it painted like that for his mom. She has a few old Olie's painted up like that. It broke my heart at first but it's starting to grow on me. BTW it does see some action tedding hay occasionally and folks will slow down to check it out as they drive by!

Not everybody likes the classics painted something different. I do. That trailer would be handy to have. I had a tongue wagon with a hydraulic cylinder on the front. You could only raise it about 22 inches I think. It wouldn't really dump even pea gravel, but it didn't take much to shovel it off the back with it raised.

Brute 23":n27xcyf1 said:
I'm in the wrong business... look at all those toys. :shock:
Naw Brute, I think you're in the right business, I've been WAY too busy in the oil/gas business lately to be able to work on this project. I've been working in the Southern Ohio/W.V./PA area on some monster wells (at least for up here). Finally got a few hours this week to work on this project. I boxed the frame in the high stress areas and put some fish-plates over my vertical welds and added a cross member and put a jack on it. I have also got the hydraulic pump and valve I'm going to use. I hope to get the hydraulics hooked up Sunday.

skyhightree1":35g78w2w said:
O.S. You are definitely a man with many talents. my hats off to you buddy. I wish you were my neighbor.
Probably would be ugly. Way too much moonshine consumption.

ohiosteve":369h09t3 said:
Bigfoot, that old Oliver is a special edition for sure! It was mine and was 90% restored and I took it to my bosses for a hay ride and he said he had to have it. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse and then he had it painted like that for his mom. She has a few old Olie's painted up like that. It broke my heart at first but it's starting to grow on me. BTW it does see some action tedding hay occasionally and folks will slow down to check it out as they drive by!
Never understood why they didn't paint more tractors black. The black painted 66 series Internationals are about the best looking tractors out there, and that Olie looks good, might look a little better without the neon purple. :lol: Is it a Super 66?
Dump Trailer looks good, and the 4020 looks good pulling it.

Thanks Sim. It's a Super 77 and I think it would look a lot better meadow green and clover white like when it was born but that's just me. I think the trailer will look real good behind bosses 6030 but he had me fit it to a 8520. It will be done soon and I'll post some pictures.

ohiosteve":jb8funv5 said:
skyhightree1":jb8funv5 said:
O.S. You are definitely a man with many talents. my hats off to you buddy. I wish you were my neighbor.
Probably would be ugly. Way too much moonshine consumption.

True but that would get our creative juices flowing your talent my junk the skys the limit lol

Latest posts