Dump Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a 7x14 bumper pull. It has dual hydraulic cylinders to dump. It's a Homesteader brand. If you was wanting anything any bigger I would go with a gooseneck. I love mine use it all the time.

I agree on the gooseneck. Check on some of the different types of lifts cylinders too since speed and power differ with the type of hydraulics.

I bought a 16' tiger with 7000 pound axles a couple of years ago. Tiger is not considered a high end trailer but it's been pretty good. It probably gets pulled 3 days a week minimum.
It will dump 13000 pounds of rock .
Son haul skid steer and materials in it mostly, also gets used to haul rock , firewood, corn, cottonseed , deliver square bales, and haul scrap metal to the scrap yard. One of those things once you have one you won't be able to live without it. As with any trailer spend the dollars to get good 14 ply tires. KIMG0322.JPG

I bought a 16' tiger with 7000 pound axles a couple of years ago. Tiger is not considered a high end trailer but it's been pretty good. It probably gets pulled 3 days a week minimum.
It will dump 13000 pounds of rock .
Son haul skid steer and materials in it mostly, also gets used to haul rock , firewood, corn, cottonseed , deliver square bales, and haul scrap metal to the scrap yard. One of those things once you have one you won't be able to live without it. As with any trailer spend the dollars to get good 14 ply tires. View attachment 1415
How much cottonseed will that one hold?

I agree on the gooseneck. Check on some of the different types of lifts cylinders too since speed and power differ with the type of hydraulics.
Can you explain that a little better? What different types of lift cylinders are there? Which are best?

From what I've seen there are three types. There is a scissor lift type that uses a short cylinder and the scissor function to lift. This is from what I've been told to be slow and weak. The second type is the one in fences post with dual cylinders. The dual cylinders is the standard and works pretty good. The last is the telescopic type you most commonly see on dump trucks. I have another friend who just bought a dump trailer with this telescopic cylinder and he said it's faster and doesn't struggle as bad as the dual cylinder type. They do mostly tree work with the trailers with the occasional hauling dirt, concrete, and old bricks with them. Hope this helps you a little more.

From what I've seen there are three types. There is a scissor lift type that uses a short cylinder and the scissor function to lift. This is from what I've been told to be slow and weak. The second type is the one in fences post with dual cylinders. The dual cylinders is the standard and works pretty good. The last is the telescopic type you most commonly see on dump trucks. I have another friend who just bought a dump trailer with this telescopic cylinder and he said it's faster and doesn't struggle as bad as the dual cylinder type. They do mostly tree work with the trailers with the occasional hauling dirt, concrete, and old bricks with them. Hope this helps you a little more.
I assume all of those are ran off a battery?

I've got a 16' Load Trail with (3) 7k axles, will handle 8 tons of gravel as long as it's not all the way to the front. Bought it used, if I had to do it all over again I'd get (2) 8k axles with a 12-14' body. Not a fan of tri-axle trailers.

I have a scissor lift and I wouldn't call it slow or weak by any means. Has no problem lifting well more than the 14klbs the trailer is rated for and does it as quickly as most other types. Scissor lifts often times have a steeper dump angle, and usually have the pivots right at the back so the tail of the trailer doesn't get close to the ground at full dump.

After owning a twin cyl and now a scissor there is no way I'd go back to the twin.

Don't have any experience to compare, as I've only used my buddies which is a bumper pull, spread axle, single cylinder scissor dump. It's been real handy and wouldn't complain about anything on it. Curious to hear opinions on spread axle option for these trailers. Don't know if it's pretty standard or not, but I really like the remote dump also.

I had a 16' Bri Mar for a few years. Was a handy trailer that pulled well but you had to load it to the back or have a loader there to lift it the first few inches. It was the twin cylinder design. Mine wouldn't dump with more than 3-4 tons on it. Telescoping cylinder will perform the best then scissor then dual cylinder.

Other big gripe I had with it was at full dump angle the back dug into the ground so it didn't dump clean and you couldn't pull out from under the load. It had to be at full dump for most stuff to come off. Pretty crappy design and ultimately why I sold it. I always would recommend gooseneck and 14 ply tires for any trailer that will be used much. Just a few things to watch for if you go to buy one.

I have a scissor lift and I wouldn't call it slow or weak by any means. Has no problem lifting well more than the 14klbs the trailer is rated for and does it as quickly as most other types. Scissor lifts often times have a steeper dump angle, and usually have the pivots right at the back so the tail of the trailer doesn't get close to the ground at full dump.

After owning a twin cyl and now a scissor there is no way I'd go back to the twin.
I don't want to start a major debate but give my comments after working for a dump body manufacturer for several years. We always encouraged customers to use telescopic hoists as they have less moving parts, lower mounting height and typically lift almost twice the load of an underbody (scissor) hoist. But they are more expensive. Hoist speed is determined by several factors but typically the telescopic hoists are slower as they take more oil to fill the larger cylinder. If you're planning on using the trailer daily and hauling rock and dirt, I would recommend the telescopic hoist. If it's occasional use and hauling lighter materials, the scissor hoist should be fine. Dump angle is engineered and can vary by manufacturer regardless of hoist. Most are probably around 50 degrees

Lift capacity is a huge factor in these trailers as mentioned in most posts above. I've not owned one, but have borrowed two different ones. I've overloaded both and had to drag half the material out with a tractor before they would dump. I can't offer any advise other than research, research, research, especially if you are going to haul dirt or sand. The weight adds up faster than most can count. Good luck.

Mine has the dual cylinders. I have loaded 6 tons of gravel from the rock quarry and it dumps it just fine. I have hauled wet clay dirt with it and load as much as I could put on the trailer and it dumped it. Need to make sure you have a good strong battery.

I don't want to start a major debate but give my comments after working for a dump body manufacturer for several years. We always encouraged customers to use telescopic hoists as they have less moving parts, lower mounting height and typically lift almost twice the load of an underbody (scissor) hoist. But they are more expensive. Hoist speed is determined by several factors but typically the telescopic hoists are slower as they take more oil to fill the larger cylinder. If you're planning on using the trailer daily and hauling rock and dirt, I would recommend the telescopic hoist. If it's occasional use and hauling lighter materials, the scissor hoist should be fine. Dump angle is engineered and can vary by manufacturer regardless of hoist. Most are probably around 50 degrees

Agreed a telescopic cylinder is better than a scissor in almost every way other than cost. Most small dump trailers shy away from telescopic because of cost, so they tend to use a single or doube single stage cylinder or a scissor.

If my budget was large I'd go telescopic over the others. Since I'm cheap and try to buy good used equipment scissor lifts are much more readily available.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of having power up/power down or power up/gravity
down on a dump trailer ?

Latest posts