Dumbest mistake youve made

Help Support CattleToday:

My brother sharpened the blades on the hay mower, and I ran into a metal fence post on the first round. That was a winner!

True Grit Farms":39zx3uuh said:
Nesikep":39zx3uuh said:
I kept a few heifers as well in those years, but I also kept my culls, and by some stroke of luck, I sold them all right on the week of peak prices.. Got more for my PB bull than I paid for him 5 years earlier ($3100!!).. cull cows got about $1.40/lb that week, and my most awful looking dink calf got $3.75 /lb for 385 lbs.. that sure made up for the retained heifers!

It might of made you feel better about keeping the high priced retained heifers, but you can't ever make up for lost money.
If the heifers turned into good cows it's still a good investment, if they didn't them it's more like adding insult to injury

Nesikep":2oo0ylpp said:
True Grit Farms":2oo0ylpp said:
Nesikep":2oo0ylpp said:
I kept a few heifers as well in those years, but I also kept my culls, and by some stroke of luck, I sold them all right on the week of peak prices.. Got more for my PB bull than I paid for him 5 years earlier ($3100!!).. cull cows got about $1.40/lb that week, and my most awful looking dink calf got $3.75 /lb for 385 lbs.. that sure made up for the retained heifers!

It might of made you feel better about keeping the high priced retained heifers, but you can't ever make up for lost money.
If the heifers turned into good cows it's still a good investment, if they didn't them it's more like adding insult to injury
that's the gambling part..but not like throwing seeds in the ground and praying for rain..