Dumbest mistake youve made

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Lazy m's farmer of the year thread got me thinking, what's your dumbest mistake you've made? I'll start. I was reallyyy hungover, and put eraser in the sprayer to nuke my food plots. I always trip the pto before I leave the barn to make sure all my spray tips are clean, and working properly. Well they were good to go, so I take off, without ever turning the pto off. Left a nice brown streak all the way to the other side of the ranch where I "started" spraying.

Oh god, I'm going to have to think about this one.. the list is no doubt pretty long!
Just about every time I plow at SOME point i'll forget to roll the rollover plow the other way around..
How about forgetting to lift the trailer jack all the way up before driving off?
I'm sure there are dumber moments I'll think of!

Just now bought a used hay baler, rake, wagons. Looking for a bigger tractor. Screw this "waiting on someone to bale my hay" bs. (ps, can anyone tell me how to bale hay? Seriously. Once I get the equipment, anyone wanting a nice early fall trip to New England(ish), c'mon up. Got room and lotsa deer, turkeys, fishing). :)

boondocks":1axcdyqm said:
Just now bought a used hay baler, rake, wagons. Looking for a bigger tractor. Screw this "waiting on someone to bale my hay" bs. (ps, can anyone tell me how to bale hay? Seriously. Once I get the equipment, anyone wanting a nice early fall trip to New England(ish), c'mon up. Got room and lotsa deer, turkeys, fishing). :)

Good on you Boondocks, you'll work it out. I'd come and give you a hand except I don't fly.

Ken

Knowing better,,but starting a tractor on the ground...thank God! it was in reverse...went away from me into my truck bed, and tore the bedside out...then went through two barb wire fences.. I let it roll till I felt safe to jump on and stop it...... That was one thing,,I'll be thinking of others..they say farming is a dangerous job.. I say stupid is close...

dumbest mistakes are not buying a commercial building and a 3 unit rental building I could of got for a song.. that was a lot of income and equity i missed out on.

now i have this duplex i'm passing on but I really should buy.. I know its a mistake not to buy it but I'm so busy and already have another house to do.. don't have the time!

It would be easier to come up with a top 100 instead of just the 1 biggest

boondocks":20wq3enf said:

Bought my first round baler in 2003 around 5pm and was baling by 7:30. Kept on baling up til midnight. I had never seen a round baler dump a bale before that day. Didn't really know you can't bale hay at night :lol:

Nothing major thankfully (yet). I'm famous for forgetting to latch the trailer onto the ball. Just last night I moved my kubota tractor about 5 road miles on my car hauler with the tractor parking brake on, but forgot the straps - crap that was stupid! Thankfully it was a nice smooth ride!

The dumbest thing I can think of that could have ended really badly was I was cleaning the top of the bat wing shredder off one day and my phone rang. I answered it and kept kicking stuff off. For some dumb reason I went to step off the shredder and stepped on one of the wheels. That wheel was not touching. I slipped and the phone went flying.

I ended up with one piece of metal basically on my Achilles tendon, one piece of metal running right below my knee cap, and I was in the push up position with both hands on another wheel. I was pinched in and in such pain from hyper-extending my knee I could not move.

Finally I walked my hands back to another wheel and was able to raise my upper body up to get my leg out. I rolled over in the grass and laid they. My leg felt dead and was in such pain. I propped it up and just laid there trying to breathe and get my composure.

When I finally realaxed and realized I couldnt move that knee I crawled to my phone. I laid there and called my dad to come get me.

It was a bad deal. The next day I was sore on it. I had to wrap it and baby it for several weeks for several weeks.

If I had snapped that knee i would have passed out and laid there until some one found me. Worse, if I had fallen on too the shredder who knows.

I don't answer any calls now when I am in the middle of doing some thing like that. I stop and walk completely away. I also don't step on tires... but I never had a habit of doing that before.

Also as a young person in this business there were times I should have walked away from purchases that I didn't. Looking back they are extremely frustrating because I knew better but caved to outside influence. Luckily none of them were to costly, just frustrating.

I have pages of dumb stuff involving women, alcohol, fire, strippers, things with motors and guns but I didn't think that is what this thread was really about.

dun":1nk0elrd said:
It would be easier to come up with a top 100 instead of just the 1 biggest

I agree...

Truthfully my biggest mistake was being a cow calf operation and not just raising stockers. It could have saved me a lot of work haying in the summer and such as well as not feeding in the winter.

How about stupidest thing you've ever done that didn't end bad? I used to load square bales of hay on a trailer behind a tractor. I'd go out in the pasture, put the tractor in low gear, tie a string to the steering wheel to keep it going relatively straight, step off, climb on the trailer as it went by, throw hay off for the cows, then get off the trailer and catch up to the tractor and climb on. Go to the next pasture and repeat. I don't know if that's my absolute worst, but it's got to be close.

Another candidate would be driving 80 mph on a gravel road in a 1/2 ton pickup. The back end gets kind of loose.

Both of those were 30 years ago when I still thought I was bullet-proof.

Not buying more land, when it was $300 an acre back in the 80's. I remind myself, that I was young, and did well to put together as much as I did. Would have been nice to have more. The older I get, the less I'd like to have to main twin though.

Anyone else ever forget to put the drain plug back in the oil pan and start filling oil? Yep, did that one once... To my credit I didn't drive off with no oil in the engine.
What about putting a chainsaw chain on backward? I noticed really quickly, but it was one of those brain fart moments

Not buying Micro Soft at the IPO. Had a guy trying to get me to buy and I had the money. Later I figured every $2,000 would have turned into a million.

Latest posts