dumb question

Help Support CattleToday:

A backgrounding (stocker) operation will retain and/or put together uniform groups of calves and condition them for the feedlots. This covers the period of growth between weaning and finishing. Money can be made but it can also be lost – even by experienced operators. People who do it expect to loose every now and then. It's riskier than a normal cow/calf operation because you're limited on timing as to when you can sell and you're operating on a thinner spread. That's due to the fact that the premium per extra pound decreases as the weight increases.

Craig-TX

Ive found that you can hedge a lot of that risk out. But. You also can hedge away some of your best profit potential. The best hedging for backgrounding is doing somebody elses calves. Using their money is the best hedge going.

so if i follow correctly a backgrounder takes weaned calves feeds them till what? About 700 lbs . Then sells them to a feedlot

rookie1978":1uqhmaqk said:
so if i follow correctly a backgrounder takes weaned calves feeds them till what? About 700 lbs . Then sells them to a feedlot

We ussualy ship the first bunch at around 750, then the next month or so we ship what's left at around 650-700

dun

We just got quite a bit more land to put some cows on. (free and some of the most fertile ground I might add) I am thinking of buying some steers to keep until about 700 - 800 lbs but don't know alot about that end of the operation. Can you help me out a little? Any links that I can read up on?

Josh

Latest posts