Dumb Question - Possibly

Help Support CattleToday:

sunuva

Reaction score
Why brand? I know why many brand especially large commercial ranches. But is there a good reason for the small producer (Under 50 head) to brand or freeze brand? All cows, sale cows, bulls? HELP - sounds silly - maybe I've been embarraased to ask my boss(s) ove the years, but I never understood what the purpose was and if I should be. And, I've read on the internet and it seems, simply, accepted - no explanation. THANKS for the help

Branding is a means of visible identification.

Auctions and slaughter houses have brand inspectors. If an animal is stolen and the theft reported, the chance of recovery is greater.

If you see a Santa Gertrudis with a Running W, you know that it is from the King Ranch.

A few main reasons come to mind:

1. It legally and readily identifies your animals as YOURS.

2. It's needed to sell animals to another party (the brand inspector verifies that animals brand and that you have the right to sell it) -- if we buy a breeding stock animal from someone we get a "brand inspection"... when I'm done with that animal the next buyer (be it another producer or auction yard) will require a copy of the original brand inspection to verify ownership is ours so that we can sell it.

We have to do a brand inspection as well, but even without a brand, it can be sold "slick". So, if someone gets hold of one of my animals without a brand, they could sell it without much risk. It's not required here, but everyone I know brands their cattle.

I always thought the main reason for branding out west is that herds are often mixed grazing on government lands and branding lets you sort them out in the fall when they are retrieved.

There have been springs where I've seen 3 or 4 semi trucks waiting to unload and cattle stretching single file for miles as they leave the trucks and spread into the rangeland. Several different owners. Branding is about the only sure way of identifying them when you come back in 5-6 months to get them.

Totally opposite end of the spectrum method of raising cattle from MIG etc.

Jim

Branding is not Mandatory here, but most people do it whether they have 10 cows or 200. Some don't brand calves, but just brand whatever replacement heifers they keep and/or cows they buy. Branding is the ONLY permanant and readily visible proof of ownership out there. Ear tags can be lost, tattoos require a chute and headgate to read. Brand inspection is not required here by law, unless you sell cattle through the auction barn, but lots of people do it whenever they buy cattle from someone, just to cover themselves.

grannysoo":g2dedcmw said:
No one in our area brands. But then, we have fences too...
It is not required here in East Texas , but is sure helpful for returning them when cattle get out and cross some of our "good" fences.

branding is perm way of ID your cattle.an it really helps if they are stolen.that way they can be found.if not already sent to the packer.my breed assoc requires that all calves that are reg be branded.

Why brand?
I think the better question is, why not brand? Its law to brand here, but I would do it anyway. It seems crazy to me to leave cattle unidentified. Good fence or not. Anyone could take a few head and there would be no way to prove ownership.

I have no strong opinions on the branding question. It is not required in TX or by the Charolais association so I don't do it. All of the animals get a tattoo in their ear with an individual herd number and, of course ear tags. That's the only identifiers they receive. Never had any problems, so far!

whitecow":bmsd1kuk said:
I have no strong opinions on the branding question. It is not required in TX or by the Charolais association so I don't do it. All of the animals get a tattoo in their ear with an individual herd number and, of course ear tags. That's the only identifiers they receive. Never had any problems, so far!

Even in California Brands are not required - But show Quick Legal Owner Ship
Your lucky - My dad has worked for some ranches where he had STANDING ORDERS to brand anything that was Brand Free (Brands are More Legal than Tattoo's) (Brands are Legal) You must catch cattle and Prove ownership with a Tattoo...

My grade cattle with a "Brand" are Mine (Unless you have Brand Inspection Paperwork) _ My Reg Angus Require a Chute and Squeeze and Time/Reading Tattoos/and The Paper Work to match and then it's your word against mine if I say you sold it with No Brand Inspection or Reg Papers - My Brand Rules there might be a question but My Brand Rules

Brands make it harded to muddy the Ownership Waters - But there are ways around that also!

grannysoo":1115560e said:

Based on this comment, I'm thinking it's safe to say that you've never had a tree fall on a fence, never had a gulley washer take out part of your fence, never had antelope get tangled up and tear down part of your fence, never had someone joy riding leave a gate open, etc, etc, etc. I think I'll move in next to you, start raising the kind of cattle you raise, and just claim yours when they crawl the fence or the fence gets torn down for whatever reason. Hell, I'll make a killing since you can't prove they are yours, and mine WILL be branded! :D :D

msscamp":30zpqr5l said:
grannysoo":30zpqr5l said:

Based on this comment, I'm thinking it's safe to say that you've never had a tree fall on a fence, never had a gulley washer take out part of your fence, never had antelope get tangled up and tear down part of your fence, never had someone joy riding leave a gate open, etc, etc, etc. I think I'll move in next to you, start raising the kind of cattle you raise, and just claim yours when they crawl the fence or the fence gets torn down for whatever reason. be nice, I'll make a killing since you can't prove they are yours, and mine WILL be branded! :D :D

Lesson I learned from my Dad
Even if your neighbors are "Branded" there is a way, for a dishonest person, to add your stock to his heard and "Muddy the Water" so you May Never Get Them Back. A really SMART Crook never puts his IRON on your miss-appropriated Branded Stock! If one gets caught "Muddying the Water" -- just say - I'm sorry and give the cow Back - - But any Get She May Have Had are Branded and are mine! The free use of his cow for ??? years!

Latest posts