Dumb Kids

Help Support CattleToday:

Talk about memories. Now I'm the typical nervous mother but---

My best friend from youth was back home and I went to her parents house to visit. We walked all around the farm talk about all the stuff we used to do. She had 8 older siblings so it was always an adventure there. We swam in the pool(stock tank), slid off the barn roof into sh!t or snow depending on the season, hung on the bale elevator till it tipped, got shot at by her brother with a bb gun, and I think I got a concussion playing football once. We just laughed and laughed. We also said how everything seemed so much smaller now....

She mentioned how kids now will never know what life was like before the internet.... We had a great youth...

Nowland Farms":17lt14xt said:
I also remember when we were about 13 or 14 years old, we would box for the heck of it. We would clear out a square area in the pinestraw, put on the boxing gloves and go after each other for the fun of it. I feel too old now for such foolishness.

We also use to have boxing matches, there was about 7 of us boys same age within our motorcycle riding distance of each other. We use to have designated boxing nights and all take turns with each other. We also stick wrestled (to people get down on ground facing each other alternating their hands on a broom handle about 18" long whoever stood up with the stick won) Lots of blood was spilled in the name of fun as youths!

Today if my son wanted to box or stick wrestle with his friends I would probably put a stop to it, parents would sue your butt if their kid got hurt while you let them play such rough games on your property. :(

Between parents that coddle their kids to much, and those looking to sue over any scratch kids have came out on the short end of the stick of fun!

One year my brother and I got boxing gloves for Christmas. It was fun because, though he was older I was bigger. Well we fought in the living room one day, I hit him and fell and hit his head on the corner of the coffee table. That was the end of my boxing career! What? I was just doing what came natural. 8) :D

talkng about throwing things we used to throw stinging nettle burs, they stuck to anything they hit and when they got in your hair they were a nightmare to get out, I can remember having to have my long hair cut because of them.

Were we lived in London, there was a place where three bodies of water met, the River Lea, River Roding and the Central Canal, I can remember my two brothers and two of their friends making a raft, and taking us out on the water we thought we could be like Tom Sawyer riding down the Mississippi, stupid thoughts you have as kids, all we ended up doing was swimming to the side and getting a good whopping by the River Police. Daddy kept us in for about three weeks after that.

chrisy":23cnv93s said:
making a raft, and taking us out on the water we thought we could be like Tom Sawyer riding down the Mississippi, stupid thoughts you have as kids,

After watching Mary Poppins, I learned you couldn't actually fly with an unbrella - no matter how many unbrellas you used. :oops: I was upset and pretty darn sore from the drop off the roof. I did however figure out what Newton was talking about though. ;-)

Learned to tie the rope to the innertube to pull behind a snowmobile.
Shot a friend over an empty ditch across the road in front of a car.
Bounced another one over a large hill of dirt, he bounced very nicely. :lol: We put his brother under an empty trailer. He had just gotten out of a leg cast after breaking his leg. :oops:
The fun and dumb things you can do with those things.

aplusmnt":26fan2ni said:
Lammie":26fan2ni said:
Those were the good old day. And I salute you with the two good fingers I have on my right hand!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

One game I remember as a kid, we use to get out in middle of dirt road and step off maybe 20 or 30 yards line up like gun fighters about to have a shoot out and then throw rocks at each other. The object was you could not move your feet, you could move your body to dodge rocks just never your feet.

Also remember BB gun fights, paint ball guns came a few years to late for us. We all had them cheap one caulk Daisy BB guns that were bearable if hit by. Lucky no one put an eye out though. We also use to play a game we called Rabbit with them. 3 of us would have BB guns and one would be the rabbit, the ones with gun would set on my porch while the rabbit would run between trees in front yard trying to dodge being shot by the gun holders.

Just glad we never had bows and arrows.
that game was so fun but did it out of a 2 story play house. and then we had paint ball wars, roman candle wars. we used to throw black cats at each other, sledding on dirt roads(during the summer), rolling off a two storie house in a whell chair

Well there is my son. he thinks it's great fun to put the trampoline next to the house get up on the porch roof and jump.
Can you say cardiac arrest?
Then there is the daughter hanging onto the horses tail following them around the pasture.

Remember on Tom and Jerry cartoons when Tom comes around the corner of the house, steps on a rake and gets knocked on the face? I thought, "That can't happen." So ~ I go out to the barn, can't find a rake but there is a scoop shovel. I jumped on the end of it and it came to about my waist (I was 7 or 8). Try, try again ~ I climb up on the horses standing stall with the shovel below, jump, land on the edge of the scoop. The triangle handle fits perfectly around my left eye socket traveling at about the speed of light. Eye was swollen shut befor I even got to the house. Fractured the cheek bone on that side of my face.

We had dirt clod fights. Too many times there was a rock inside the dirt clod. We also had bull needle fights and sticker fights. My brother and his friend would go around without shirts on in the summer and those stickers would stick right in the middle of those bare backs.

We jumped off the shed onto the ground.

We aggravated red wasps and others-knocked their nests down and such.

Why we did these stupid things I don't know. Leaves me shaking my head.

angie":1lj76a9p said:
Remember on Tom and Jerry cartoons when Tom comes around the corner of the house, steps on a rake and gets knocked on the face? I thought, "That can't happen." So ~ I go out to the barn, can't find a rake but there is a scoop shovel. I jumped on the end of it and it came to about my waist (I was 7 or 8). Try, try again ~ I climb up on the horses standing stall with the shovel below, jump, land on the edge of the scoop. The triangle handle fits perfectly around my left eye socket traveling at about the speed of light. Eye was swollen shut befor I even got to the house. Fractured the cheek bone on that side of my face.

I think you won the trophy..........
laughing6-hehe.gif

clapper.gif
icon__clap.gif

At least I can respond to lunches on E-Scrabble ~ chicken ;-)

Just what I wanted ~ the dumbest kid award :)

Brute 23":c0b67a0c said:
angie":c0b67a0c said:

I think you won the trophy..........
laughing6-hehe.gif

clapper.gif
icon__clap.gif

I did that when I was about 4 at Grandma's. It hurts likle thunder.

I was standing in dewy grass and I touched the barrel of my BB gun to the wire.

How about electric fence accidents? I can't count the number of times I was bit as a kid. I never seemed to learn my lesson. I got shocked every day at least once. I think my kids are smarter than that. I passed all my experiences to them and maybe they learned.

My oldest will hardly go outdoors unless he's walking to his car. :(

Lammie said:
How about electric fence accidents? quote]

Oh Geeze..we used to have a competition...Who could touch the electric the most.
It wasnt that hot. (It was one peice of electric on top of a wood fence, so we dont keep it as hot as out all-electric fences.)
We practiced safety..never grasp with your palm...only the back of your hand.
My dad has a video of us doing it. It goes something like this...2 girls, around the age of ten. Standing next to said fence. One reachs hand out " OUCH!" and jumps. the other one "hahahahah. OUCH" it goes on like that for about 10 minutes before we are both shaking and in tears.

karlie45":2ron6sj7 said:
Lammie":2ron6sj7 said:
How about electric fence accidents? quote]

Oh Geeze..we used to have a competition...Who could touch the electric the most.
It wasnt that hot. (It was one peice of electric on top of a wood fence, so we dont keep it as hot as out all-electric fences.)
We practiced safety..never grasp with your palm...only the back of your hand.
My dad has a video of us doing it. It goes something like this...2 girls, around the age of ten. Standing next to said fence. One reachs hand out " OUCH!" and jumps. the other one "hahahahah. OUCH" it goes on like that for about 10 minutes before we are both shaking and in tears.

I never got into a contest. I just remember the barrel of the BB gun when it touched. That smacked! Also, it seems like I was always shocking my behind when I was little because I was too short to step over and when I crawled under I would get it. Or when my mom lifted me over, I would get it, too!

And I have stuck my finger in more than one light socket... :roll:

I remember as a child grabbing a wire hanging from the ceiling, and being thrown across the room, ended up in hospital for a day, it was a live wire the electricity man was installing he turned his back to get a socket to put on the wire, I ran behind him and before he could stop me I grabbed it. burnt my hand and gave me a nasty shock, when I look back it is a wonder any of us are still here to tell the tales. :roll:

stepped on a broom handle it came back and hit me square on the nose and broke it. blood everywhere. that was not intentional. Someone had left it on the floor in the stable and I did not see it in the straw. that was only about a year ago. :oops: