dumb idea?

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
This may be a dumb idea but instead of putting out expensive spray right now I may go ahead and fertilize my hay fields. They are mostly bermuda but have a lot of other mixed grass in there too, fescue and johnson mostly. I was thinking go ahead and fertilize and cut the first cutting mostly for my cows and then spray maybe in June with Grazon or something to really bring the bermuda on strong. With some rain (hopefully) I should get a really good bermuda cutting in July.

rc":2k62zods said:
then spray maybe in June with Grazon or something to really bring the bermuda on strong.

Don't know if you really want to spray when it is that hot. May is late.

rc":3ka8qaz9 said:
This may be a dumb idea but instead of putting out expensive spray right now I may go ahead and fertilize my hay fields. They are mostly bermuda but have a lot of other mixed grass in there too, fescue and johnson mostly. I was thinking go ahead and fertilize and cut the first cutting mostly for my cows and then spray maybe in June with Grazon or something to really bring the bermuda on strong. With some rain (hopefully) I should get a really good bermuda cutting in July.
i had rather spray now and fertilize later. around the end of march. we all get spring fever when the temp comes up but it could cost you about half of your fertilizer. if we have some more frosts. is your bermuda common or a hybred?

The longer you wait to spray the more chemical per acre it takes to get a good kill. Plus the new growth weeds will be sucking up that nice fertilizer you put down.

Part of the issue with the timing of the spray is what weeds are you trying to eliminate. Here we have fall/winter weeds, spriing/early summer weeds, and summer weeds. The summer weeds are the ones that tend to be the worst to get rid of. Bull nettle, thistle, etc., are the hardest and also the ones that tend to be thorny. I plan on haying our good fields this year, if we get enogh growth, then a week later spray Grazon. With any luck that will cut down on the bull nettle as it's the worst weed we have.
$600 worth of rye I planted last fall is dead and gone so many of my great ideas on how to improve the pastures/grazing, frequently are failures. I'm hoping this one works out the way I plan.

dun

rc":27qto1ue said:
another thing with spraying later aleast for me would be killing or knocking out a stand of clover. and thats like burning money with the benefits you get from it

ALACOWMAN":1rw61j25 said:
rc":1rw61j25 said:
another thing with spraying later aleast for me would be killing or knocking out a stand of clover. and thats like burning money with the benefits you get from it
i would not i repeat not spray now an kill the winter grasses.if you do your throwing away a cutting of hay.nor would i spray in may or june.unless you have a bad weed infestation.i would never spray to kill winter grasses.

I think what I'm wanting to do is salvage that first cutting of hay. The bermuda is thick enough that it chokes the other grasses out when it really gets growing. I might do just as well not to spray but fertilize again after first cutting. It's my first year to hay..........I guess you can tell. In the past i've had it cut for me and never when it was needed, just when they would get around to it.

ALACOWMAN":36kzjhle said:

That's why fixing pastures damaged by drought is a multi-year project.
I didn;t frost seed clover in 2 fields this winter because of my plan on spraying. The bad part is I'll have to drive over them twice to spray. pre-cutting to kill the blackberrys and MFRs, then after cutting to get rid of the weeds. The fileds that weren;t too weedy I frost seeded. Another that is, or was, my OG hay field was decimated by the drought except for the weeds. I drilled OG into it and after I hay it I'll spray it with grazon too. That field is now over rn with field bindweed and has more then it's share of bull nettles.

dun

dun":3s2kzxxt said:
ALACOWMAN":3s2kzxxt said:

That's why fixing pastures damaged by drought is a multi-year project.
I didn;t frost seed clover in 2 fields this winter because of my plan on spraying. The bad part is I'll have to drive over them twice to spray. pre-cutting to kill the blackberrys and MFRs, then after cutting to get rid of the weeds. The fileds that weren;t too weedy I frost seeded. Another that is, or was, my OG hay field was decimated by the drought except for the weeds. I drilled OG into it and after I hay it I'll spray it with grazon too. That field is now over rn with field bindweed and has more then it's share of bull nettles.

dun
You precut the blackberrys then spray?
What do you spray with?
I have tried several things that did not work.

novatech":2qq63dii said:
What do you spray with?

I just spray the BB and MFRs with Remedy. Then before the grass gets too tall I cut the dead stuff and burn it.

dun

dun":b5mh9jz1 said:
novatech":b5mh9jz1 said:
What do you spray with?

I just spray the BB and MFRs with Remedy. Then before the grass gets too tall I cut the dead stuff and burn it.

dun
I tried Grazon PD this past fall. I am hopeing it will be pulled down to the roots and not come back this spring. I mix at 1%. I will let you know what happens. It would be a lot cheaper than Remedy.

Latest posts